Prop venting

SLOWLS1Z28

Cadet
Guys ive got a 14' flat bottom boat with a evinrude 25 that when it has a decent load (3 people and 2 ice chest one ice other with beverages) is slow to get onto plain. It gets on plain decent when its just me in the boat but still kinda slow, top speed with me alone is around 30-32mph depending on water conditions and with the 3 people and gear was 26-27mph. I have been told venting the prop will help with the "out the hole" power but I dont want to mess anything up. Would this help or hurt me?

James R

Commander
Re: Prop venting

That load in a 14ft is more than plenty. I think your boat is doing very well. You may need to change the trim position of your motor to get up with the heavier load.
I would not advise messing with a perfectly good motor.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

with all that in a 14 foot boat you are pushing or exceeding the load limit. as said, moving the tilt pin will help some. but your boat is performing pretty darn good. if you want more speed, buy a bigger boat, to handle the load, and larger motor.

SLOWLS1Z28

Cadet

Thanks guys, i've tried moving the pin up and down and it made a small difference. The prop is a 3 blade 10X15, Is that a good prop for my setup? Also i've got a bigger boat but this one gets into some places the big boat will not and its nice having it to use in shallow water.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

A 15 pitch prop would have a much higher theoretical top end than you are achieving if you had a WOT of 5500 RPM.

My guess (based on way too little information) is that you are over-propped and should be using a 13 pitch or less.

You should set up your motor for the average load that you want it to work with.

If you don't have an owner's manual, give the model number and someone may be able to look up your gear ratio for you.

You would probably get more and better help in the propeller forum.