phoenixgold2100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
99 Stratos 273 vindicator 17'3"

99 Johnson 150

24 pitch raker prop

rapid jack 6" jackplate.

prop is 4.5" below pad.

hotfoot trim on wheel.

The problem I am having with this boat is it chine walks really violently at 60-65 mph I haven't not tried to drive through it because it seems impossible as I can feel the boat out of the lake

Do I have the right prop/set up for this boat? thanks

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer
Re: prop to pad question

99 Stratos 273 vindicator 17'3"

99 Johnson 150

24 pitch raker prop

rapid jack 6" jackplate.

prop is 4.5" below pad.

hotfoot trim on wheel.

The problem I am having with this boat is it chine walks really violently at 60-65 mph I haven't not tried to drive through it because it seems impossible as I can feel the boat out of the lake

Do I have the right prop/set up for this boat? thanks

My brother had the Javelin version of your boat way back when we were teenagers and that thing would chine walk like crazy when you got into the high 50's. We fixed most of it with a 5.5" jack plate setting the motor around 3.5" below the pad. I would recommend you raise yours to 3.5" and test it.

If may still chine walk some and you can't drive through it. You have to correct it by keeping the boat balanced on the pad using small steering inputs at the right time. Here's a great write up on chine walking that will teach you a lot: Lets talk about Triton"Chine Walk myth"...and what its really doing :)

phoenixgold2100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a stratos, they talk about triton. Totally different monster!. I've driven a triton and they are school busses compared to a short strat's pad.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Make sure the Raker hasn't been worked on or repaired. The best Raker was the original version with small vent holes. If you have any doubt about the Rakers condition replace it with a Turbo Lightning, probably in the 22-23" pitch. Raising the motor should help the drivability issues.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

I have a stratos, they talk about triton. Totally different monster!. I've driven a triton and they are school busses compared to a short strat's pad.

I know I was driving the Javelin version of your hull into the mid 60s when I was 18. The concept of correcting chine walk is the same no matter what padded v hull you have.

I still really think you need to raise your motor to 3.5" below the pad and see if that helps.

phoenixgold2100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am going to raise it up to 3.5". But I have read that this hull likes the prop deep for some reason.

The raker prop is brand new with the small vent holes it in.