Prop test Results Tempest Plus 25P, Walleyehed!!!

KCLOST

Commander
I put on a 25P Tempest Plus prop will all of the plugs removed on my 1988 Ranger 371V with a 1986 Merc. 175hp.

I had been running with a 25P Lazer II. Which got me up to around 61mph WOT and 5750-5800 rpm at near full trim up to the point I started loosing water pressure.

Anyway, with the Tempest Plus I was able to reach a speed of 63-64mph with good bow lift and MAX trim (trimmed out all the way). Water pressure was excellent at 23psi. However the hole shot was poor and my WOT full trim RPM was only 5300.

Here is my question, My testing was with me only in the boat. So assuming I add another 250 lbs of weight with my tournament partner, what would be my best option? A 24P tempest or a 23P.. I'm assuming I can raise the motor up some with a tempest because I really didn't have any rooster tail at all even at full trim. But with my lazer it really does. When running my lazer II with my partner in the boat, the hole shot is not great but manageable, but the boat does want to load up after a long run at no-wake speeds while trying to get on plane.

I should also add that at full trim I had some chine walking issues with the tempest, slow wobble, not the scarey quick stuff.

Ron G

Commander
Re: Prop test Results Tempest Plus 25P

Try raising it up a little and see what happens,i think your once you add your partner your going to be on the verge of lugging i may be wrong.

KCLOST

Commander

Ron,

I know I will be lugging at that point. I might not be able to get up on plane at all.

But let's say that I raise the motor an inch or so.. And have an extra 250lbs in the boat...
Should I go with a 24P or 23P Tempest? I'm wanting to reach 5500-5600 minimum rpm at WOT... And of course have a reasonable hole shot.
I have a 24P trophy that runs well with the boat fully loaded. THe 25P Lazer II runs well also but the hole shot is pretty slow and there is lugging/loading up symptoms after running at no-wake speeds for a while.

Right now I'm at 5300 rpms (25P Tempest) with just myself in the boat and the hole shot is poor. Wanting to know what would be my best option in regards to another Tempest Plus prop 24P" or 23"P. And what changes in speed/rpms should I expect, with an extra 250lbs of weight, also keeping in mind that I may raise the motor some. I don't want to waste money on the wrong pitch, or do something that won't improve performance enough to warrant it's purchase.

Ron G

Commander

By therory going to a 23p should put you at 5700,add the extra weight and you'll probably drop down to around 5500rpm as far speed its hard to tell by my trials i lost around 5 to 10 mph at times.i maybe wrong here but kenny or dale will chime in if so.hard to choose which one on my boat the 24 would be better but im liter than you are so if it was me i would go with the 23 raise the motor up and see how it was the hole shot should be awsome and fairly good topend.

Ron G

Commander

but it is therory evertime i think a prop or something should be right im surprised sometimes good and sometimes bad.all mystuff has been trial error and alot of guidiance from kenny and dale.im really getting quick at raising my motor and lowering itd:)

KCLOST

Commander
Re: Prop test Results Tempest Plus 25P, Walleyehed!!!

Any thoughts Walleyhed?8)

shep70057

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a thought, but there is a prop doc (Mark Croxton) that will add another set of PVS on those props to help your holeshot if you should have problems.

walleyehed

Admiral

It's tough to get "good" data, when you are alone...
I use sand bags to simulate another/more people.
Best thing I could recommend, KC, is load another person (or sand bags) and go maximize what you have now..go as high as you can and still be able to trim as needed and keep water pressure..
When you reach that point, we can then make an educated shot at which prop to look at.
I wish I had a better answer....It's going to take some more playing with it.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Suggest you Sea Foam in every tank of gas to get rid of your loadup problem. It does very well on preventing that as it would with a lot of trolling.....for those trollers out there. BTDT

Try it, it's only $6 a can and it surely can't hurt anything. I'm so happy with my results, after blowing it off at first, that I have to share my feelings with others......like if something's good for me, gotta be good for you too.

Mark

Crownie2

Petty Officer 1st Class

KCLOST: Any decision yet on the 23" or 24" Tempest??

Bob