Prop suggestions

Robj

Lieutenant
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 22, 2007
Messages
1,441
I have a 120 VP, SP 290 drive, on a 18 foot bowrider. Last year when I was running it, it was able to do low 30's mph, with 4 people onboard. I am currently running a 15 X 17 aluminum prop and with this prop and the above load, I cannot open the engine up or it will over rev. It is too shallow of a prop for this boat. Great for waterskiing but not the best for cruising. What type of prop I should be buying, a 15 X 19 ?? or is there something else that would work better. Also what make and where is the best place to get it.

Thanx for your suggestions,

Have a great day,

Rob.
 

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Apr 26, 2002
Messages
19,069
Re: Prop suggestions

What is your max reccomended rpm?Do you have a feel for what rpm it would be at now?
 

Robj

Lieutenant
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 22, 2007
Messages
1,441
Re: Prop suggestions

Max rpm for that engine is about 5 k. Don't know what it is now because I cannot open it up, it will over rev, higher than 5 k. Just wondering what others with similiar boat and power are using for a cruising prop. The one I have now is good for skiing but not for speed.

Thanx and have a great day,

Rob.
 

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Apr 26, 2002
Messages
19,069
Re: Prop suggestions

Max rpm for that engine is about 5 k. Don't know what it is now because I cannot open it up, it will over rev, higher than 5 k. Just wondering what others with similiar boat and power are using for a cruising prop. The one I have now is good for skiing but not for speed.

Thanx and have a great day,

Rob.

Going from the 17 to a 19 aluminum will lower rpm by about 400.
This is the proper section for prop info and with specs from you we can help select a prop selected for your exact requirements.Typical load and activity.This is an oportunity to fine tune your setup. If you want help from folks with similar boats try the I/O section.
 

Robj

Lieutenant
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 22, 2007
Messages
1,441
Re: Prop suggestions

Going from the 17 to a 19 aluminum will lower rpm by about 400.
This is the proper section for prop info and with specs from you we can help select a prop selected for your exact requirements.Typical load and activity.This is an oportunity to fine tune your setup. If you want help from folks with similar boats try the I/O section.

I thought of posting there, but I am sure Don would move it here anyway. What about going to a 14.5 X 19 prop??

Have a great day,

Rob.
 

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Apr 26, 2002
Messages
19,069
Re: Prop suggestions

As long as it is listed for your setup It should work and give the approximate 400 rpm drop.
 

Robj

Lieutenant
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 22, 2007
Messages
1,441
Re: Prop suggestions

Thanx for your reply. I was just wondering what others with like power are using to give me some ideas on what prop I should buy and the expected performance. Maybe I will just get the 15 X 19, any particular brand that I should look at??

Have a great day,

Rob.
 
Top