Prop suggestions Please

Eric123

Seaman Apprentice
I am not asking for pitch or size, speed or hole shot. But what is a good brand of aluminum props to look at? I am new to the boat world and every prop maker on the internet claims to have the new best thing. I was just wondering a good brand or manufacturer of props? I am leaning to a aluminum cause if i hit something i don't want to replace the lower unit and i will be fishing in rivers and lakes with possible underwater obstacles. Thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop suggestions Please

The Solas props have had favorable and predictable results.
I'm not sure I understand the need for replaceable hubs. They seem like an unecessary
complication unless your constantly switching props motors and or boats.
There has also been stories of some hubs getting stuck in the props.

Eric123

Seaman Apprentice

Have you tried any other brands or know of a site that may have reviews of a list of props?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You could try doing a search various combinations of prop brand and model names.

Eric123

Seaman Apprentice

has anyone tried a quicksilver? or laser 2? And do all aluminum props come in black? the one on my boat is silver, but not shiny. was wondering if it was SS.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Mercury used to and probably still makes the largest selection of Propellers. Aluninium, Steel, Bronze, and Stainless Steel. Everything from exotic racing props to props that would do a tugboat proud, if tugboats used Outboards or Stern Drives.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Try a magnet on your prop,if ss it will attract the magnet.
SS is also obviously heavy.

Eric123

Seaman Apprentice

so, im looking for aluminum and i am stuck between the quicksilver and solas. any pros or cons on these 2?

John_S

Rear Admiral

so, im looking for aluminum and i am stuck between the quicksilver and solas. any pros or cons on these 2?

Mercury/Quicksilver props are usually more pricy, and Solas seems to be leading the "value" prop catagory.

I have used Black Max (same as Quicksilver), Mich Wheel, Solas, and Turning Point props. From a brand standpoint, I can't say there are significant differences.

Now, depending on your particular application, a certain type from one of those brands may have more advantage than another.

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try a magnet on your prop,if ss it will attract the magnet.
SS is also obviously heavy.

The magnet test may not be definitive as not all stainless steel alloys are ferromagnetic.

As for cheap props, the local shop here that bills itself as "home of the $99 prop" sells Turning Point and they seem to work fine for me.

Eric123

Seaman Apprentice

Has anyone had the issues with the amita that people been having with the hub on the rubex? Or would i be better with the mercury black max or quicksilver?