Prop size

bearwhiz

Recruit
Can someone please tell me what the factory size prop is for a 2009 70 HP Yamaha? Thanks

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Do you need to replace it, need a spare, if so, plan buying same one with whichever pitch was factory delivered with ? factory delivered props are usually medium pitched ones and probably not right for your application ?

Happy Boating

Last edited:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Can someone please tell me what the factory size prop is for a 2009 70 HP Yamaha? Thanks
There isn’t such a thing. Boats are propped to suit the overall package. So a 70hp on a 20ft cruiser or cuddy would have a very different prop than a 70hp on a jon boat or small speedboat. The engine would be propped to suit the boat it’s on.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
There isn’t such a thing. Boats are propped to suit the overall package. So a 70hp on a 20ft cruiser or cuddy would have a very different prop than a 70hp on a jon boat or small speedboat. The engine would be propped to suit the boat it’s on.
There's such a thing if it's a new motor factory delivered with a prop which it's usually medium pitched. Depends on the country you bought the motor. In such case the factory or dealer won't know or care which application will be powering it, so the propping right task will be left for you to do your homework...

Happy Boating

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
There's such a thing if it's a new motor factory delivered with a prop which it's usually medium pitched. Depends on the country you bought the motor. In such case the factory or dealer won't know or care which application will be powering it, so the propping right task will be left for you to do your homework...

Happy Boating
Must be up to the country sold in them...because every single account I know of here, when buying a new outboard, the dealer will give you the prop you want for it, or offer to exchange it after a sea trial, or if they fitted it...they prop it to suit. They ask you what prop you want with it, when you order it. Be silly otherwise, I suppose.
regardless of all that searider, the answer to the guys question still remains unknown, until the application is known....just to get a start on an answer. There could be literally a foot of pitch variance or more !

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
70 HP Outboards don't come from the factory with a prop. The selection is made after the application is known.

Go to the "Yamaha Outboard Motor Prop Selection Tool", insert your data and the app will tell you what you need.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
70 HP Outboards don't come from the factory with a prop. The selection is made after the application is known.

Go to the "Yamaha Outboard Motor Prop Selection Tool", insert your data and the app will tell you what you need.
Thought this was the case. Was beginning to wonder !