prop shaft

Guru, I have a m40d2and was wondering what prop shaft runout should be. I hit a log real hard and bent it recently. Would it be ok to have a good shop straighten it out or should I plan on getting a new shaft? Thanks.

Last edited:

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: prop shaft

I would go for a new shaft. If it is even slightly out of spec the engine will have increased vibration and you will wear out the prop shaft seal.

Guru, I have a m40d2and was wondering what prop shaft runout should be. I hit a log real hard and bent it recently. Would it be ok to have a good shop straighten it out or should I plan on getting a new shaft? Thanks.

Guru........... Do you have numbers for hard tolerances, or not? I understand your advice, but you and I know real #'s count... That's as real as your advice. Thanks

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Information on lower unit repair and specifications can be found in your service manual starting on section 6-1 and ending on 6-42. That's 42 pages of help that I can't condense down here. You can try calling Tohatsu at 972-323-6003. I'm sure they will be willing to spend the time with you as they have people who are there for the sole purpose of working with consumers on service issues.

As a matter of principle I don't like to give out information that is available from the manual. I know that may be a little inconvenient to people, but I think it avoids costly mistakes down the line.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

you can get it straightened, the technology these days are so advanced that they can get perfect at a fraction of the cost of a new propshaft .....