Prop' set suggestions for Bravo 3x coupled to 250hp Vetus diesel 4,200 rpm max. (UK based)

PCUK

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Boat is a Reinell V-204, Displacement around 7,000lbs, Reduction ratio 2.2:1. I just need a starting point to get me somewhere near the right prop' set. I've not found any guidance or charts to help so far.
Thanks,
Peter

alldodge

Staff member
Going to be real hard to determine without testing or finding another boat with same setup.

With the boat having a 2.2 drive makes me think it's under powered. I would lean toward a 21 pitch. It's on the low side and not the middle. Lowest 19 and highest 28 for standard 3x3 Bravo sets. Hill marine has 4x4 sets and Merc has the XR set which is 4x3

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Boat is a Reinell V-204, Displacement around 7,000lbs, Reduction ratio 2.2:1. I just need a starting point to get me somewhere near the right prop' set. I've not found any guidance or charts to help so far.
Thanks,
Peter
Hi Peter,
I think we may have discussed this previously on the uk forum perhaps. Loads of serious knowledge here in this forum for sure, but I think the difficult bit around your situation is one of the contributing factors to the usual parts of the puzzle, being the diesel engine you have.
Be great to hear from other guys with the same boat, but with the original engine...and what the real world performance figures to be expected are. Just given the similar Hp figure between the diesel you have and the assumed original V8 GM 5.7 she might have came with new. If that's even the correct assumption at all ?
I seem to remember doing some rough guesswork with the numbers and maybe thinking that somewhere around 22-24' props might be a good starting point or close anyway. Problem is that the B3 props aren't a cheap thing to be experimenting with at all.

PCUK

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Peter,
I think we may have discussed this previously on the uk forum perhaps. Loads of serious knowledge here in this forum for sure, but I think the difficult bit around your situation is one of the contributing factors to the usual parts of the puzzle, being the diesel engine you have.
Be great to hear from other guys with the same boat, but with the original engine...and what the real world performance figures to be expected are. Just given the similar Hp figure between the diesel you have and the assumed original V8 GM 5.7 she might have came with new. If that's even the correct assumption at all ?
I seem to remember doing some rough guesswork with the numbers and maybe thinking that somewhere around 22-24' props might be a good starting point or close anyway. Problem is that the B3 props aren't a cheap thing to be experimenting with at all.
Hello again Q, Yes, you're right, we met on YBW. As far as I can ascertain the original engine was 160hp and it was running an old OMC stringer drive but I didn't check the ratio before scrapping. The engine/drive package was supplied by Vetus as the recommended combination.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hello again Q, Yes, you're right, we met on YBW. As far as I can ascertain the original engine was 160hp and it was running an old OMC stringer drive but I didn't check the ratio before scrapping. The engine/drive package was supplied by Vetus as the recommended combination.
Got you.
Peter, do you think she will be as heavy as the 7000 lbs ? She likely will be a heavy old girl eh. Probably not far off.
I think I’d look for a decent set of 22” or 24” (given the low ratio and mid 4000’s rpm you’re after) props and then try her out. If you get them for anything around the £600 mark…used…then you can’t lose and always be able to sell them on again. That would be a great price I’d think.
Then your two options would be to send off to steel developments down the south of the UK (you’ll likely know just exactly who they are already), to repitch them an inch or two either direction…
Or you could sell on and look for another set to come up more suitable in pitch, after getting some base line figures.
I might even know a guy who is thinking of changing pitch on his B3 to suit his now more powerful engine change. I think he has 24’s now perhaps. Keep in touch either way and see what you are thinking going forward.
All the best.

PCUK

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Further update. spoke to a UK agent and he suggests starting with a 3 blade 16 x 21p set.
I've got a 16 x 24p set that I picked up very cheap on Ebay (£120) so I'll probably give them a go to start with even they'll probably load the engine down quite a bit. But it will give me a definite starting point for fine tuning.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Further update. spoke to a UK agent and he suggests starting with a 3 blade 16 x 21p set.
I've got a 16 x 24p set that I picked up very cheap on Ebay (£120) so I'll probably give them a go to start with even they'll probably load the engine down quite a bit. But it will give me a definite starting point for fine tuning.
Excellent.
You did so well at that price. A odd pitch size like 21” might be a strange size for a b3 I’d think. Any I’ve known have all been even increments I’m sure.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Some realistic and safe assumption figures for you Peter. Sensible margins I’d think, if you agree ?
24’s definitely a good starting point I’d think

Attachments

• IMG_3642.png
    IMG_3642.png
    578.7 KB · Views: 2

PCUK

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I must admit that one of the props had a damaged blade but after Steel Developments had repaired it I was still in at around the £200 mark. So after your help and that of others here and at YBW I think I'll stick with what I've got for now and see how they work. By the way I'm also looking at another pair not too far away that are 22p asking £500 for the set so I may get them as well while they are available as that price is still pretty good.
One final point. While reading old YBW threads I came across a post saying that all Bravo 3 props are the same diameter and it is only the pitch that varies. Is that correct?
By the way, are you US based, as you don't type with an American accent!:rolleyes:
Cheers,
PC

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I must admit that one of the props had a damaged blade but after Steel Developments had repaired it I was still in at around the £200 mark. So after your help and that of others here and at YBW I think I'll stick with what I've got for now and see how they work. By the way I'm also looking at another pair not too far away that are 22p asking £500 for the set so I may get them as well while they are available as that price is still pretty good.
One final point. While reading old YBW threads I came across a post saying that all Bravo 3 props are the same diameter and it is only the pitch that varies. Is that correct?
By the way, are you US based, as you don't type with an American accent!:rolleyes:
Cheers,
PC
Excellent stuff Peter.
Haha, I’m up north, in Sunny Scotland. West coast. Currently not sunny at all, obviously!
Allan.