Prop selection

tooold

Recruit
From the looks of things...this is a really full topic! Anyway, here's my problem.

I bought a 1992 Stratos 25PD that has prop damage and I want to replace it. BUT, some how the only ID #s that are left are 13 1/2 X something? The engine is an Evinrude 200 XP and has a 4 blade Renegade OMC prop on it with 1/2 the IDs #s gone. Have placed numerous calls to Stratos but they must have things going on with the new ownership etc and have not been able to speak with anyone who might be able to steer me in the right direction. I looked at a similar boat that a neighbor owns that has a 13 1/4 X 25 4 blade aftermarket prop on it, but I believe that boat is a foot longer than mine. Mine is 19'. My engine is running too many RPMs top end and is slow getting out. It will crank 6500 if you wanted to but I have been holding it at below 6,000 which will go about 55MPH. A lot has been ground off by the former owner to clean it up. Anyway, I have been told that you can't get this style boat on top without a 4 blade prop. I don't have a clue.

One question I have have is...is it possible to measure this prop somehow to determine what it is? Any guidance would be much appreciated.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop selection

Lacking the numbers the easiest way to get the size is to measure it at a prop shop.
Have you looked in the area under the prop nut.Generally a 4 blade will improve hole shot and help stay on plane with less power.With a cobbled up prop your rpm won't be right.Prop could also be straining the bearings and gears etc.

tooold

Recruit
Re: Prop selection

Yes, I have the prop off the engine and can't read all the numbers on the hub above the prop nut . I'll attempt the pencil tracing method but I don't think there is enough to tell me anything.

I had a new reman power head and lower unit installed this winter so I certainly do want things working the way they should be. I drove the boat 2 days ago after the work was all done. I was wondering if the new lower unit could have a different gear ratio than the original? That might be a silly question, I don't have a clue.

Obviously, the lower unit and prop damage occurred at the same time and there is quite a bit ground off the prop for an attempted clean up job. Again, I bought the boat from a previous owner last August. Some of this I knew about when I bought the boat but I didn't give very much for it. I have less than $9,000 invested at this time and I really do like the boat. The best I can tell the boat, engine , and gas weighs about 2,600 lbs. The dealer did a good job on the whole rebuild. Just hit a snag with this missing number and didn't know where to go. I bought this boat to get my son-in-law started in tournament fishing and I came out of retirement to play a little.

Thanks for all the help so far.