Prop selection 1998 fishin barge

rmwooten

Recruit
Who can tell me the correct prop for a 1998 Bass Tracker Fishin Barge. 21 foot 40 hp Force outboard

WesNewell

Chief Petty Officer
The correct prop is one that let's the engine get in between the max rated rpm for the engine at wot. A wag for that setup would be somewhere between a 7-12 pitch prop depending on the weight of the barge. Leaning towards the lower end of that as a wag.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Yep while that motor correctly propped pushes that barge at fast displacement speeds...

Happy Boating

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I’d spend the money towards another engine a little larger and not a force. Not being cheeky. I genuinely mean that. All the best.

ahicks

Captain
Force is definitely old school design, and fairly noisy compared to it's competition, but they run great if they're right. There's no denying that among those familiar with them....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Force is definitely old school design, and fairly noisy compared to it's competition, but they run great if they're right. There's no denying that among those familiar with them....
I get that. I’ve heard the same thing from guys about their beloved mercruiser 3.7l 470’s. I love a tinker and a fiddle with engines. But lots of guys just want to turn the key and go. Without the weekly drama I suppose.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Having had a Force predecessor, a new 1972 Chrysler cross flow, 2 stroke 85 hp triple, up against my buddies (at the time) Loop charged OMC engines of lesser HP, they could run right up there with me on speed, comparable boats, and do it on (guessing) ⅔ the gas.

ahicks

Captain
I get that. I’ve heard the same thing from guys about their beloved mercruiser 3.7l 470’s. I love a tinker and a fiddle with engines. But lots of guys just want to turn the key and go. Without the weekly drama I suppose.
I'm thinking of the 40hp Force or Mariner motors - something I still see frequently on fresh water fishing and pontoon boats. I don't know how much simpler you could get than one of these. A very simple single carb (no fancy idle circuits with tiny jets), similar to one you'd see on a lawn mower, and an absolutely basic engine with nothing fancy.

No tinkering required. Just the most basic maintenance.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I'm thinking of the 40hp Force or Mariner motors - something I still see frequently on fresh water fishing and pontoon boats. I don't know how much simpler you could get than one of these. A very simple single carb (no fancy idle circuits with tiny jets), similar to one you'd see on a lawn mower, and an absolutely basic engine with nothing fancy.

No tinkering required. Just the most basic maintenance.
Fair comment there. Don’t know much about those wee force 40’s. Although I can’t think of a mariner 40hp that might be the same engine around that time. I can think of a mariner merc 45hp 4 cylinder thing and previously perhaps the yamaha 40hp made mariner. I’ve known far too many force 70 and 85’s to fail easily though. Good source for a spare power trim pump for a mercury, when they do fail.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Fair comment there. Don’t know much about those wee force 40’s. Although I can’t think of a mariner 40hp that might be the same engine around that time. I can think of a mariner merc 45hp 4 cylinder thing and previously perhaps the yamaha 40hp made mariner. I’ve known far too many force 70 and 85’s to fail easily though. Good source for a spare power trim pump for a mercury, when they do fail.
Perhaps the mariner/Merc 40 3 cylinder thing from the early to mid 90’s comes to mind too. Think that’s a different engine though.

Kristys

Recruit
I am a spammer and I have been banned. :( :)

Last edited by a moderator:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
The propeller operates in an inhomogeneous wake behind the ship. The inhomogeneous wake induces pressure fluctuations on the propeller and the ship hull above the propeller, which in turn excite vibrations MOD EDIT - Deleted the spammy part. Well, the whole thing is spammy!
Maybe on an oil tanker, it does 😂

Last edited by a moderator: