Prop Seal question

15hpevinrude

Seaman Apprentice
Hi I have a 1982 Evinrude 15 hp outboard.

I am changing the seals on the prop. but I don't know how they go!

some previous owner had it apart before, and it appears they only put one seal back in! my new seals have a flat side, and an open side with a tension spring. My (1) seal was installed with the flat side facing out (prop side).

Do I install the new ones with the flat side out, and spring sides facing each other eg. [] or spring side out(prop side) with the flat sides facing each other eg. ][ thanks:confused:

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop Seal question

There are no seals in a prop. We assume you're talking about the propshaft seals, right? If so they go in the bearing carrier back-to-back (flat sides together, lips opposite each other).

15hpevinrude

Seaman Apprentice

Yes I'm talking about the prop shaft seals.
Thanks

you say the flat sides face each other, so if I was to look inside the Bearing housing ( from the prop side ) i would see the exposed spring side facing me. is this right? wouldn't the constant exposure of water deteriorate the spring?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The lip on the inside or forward seal faces in to seal oil in. The lip on the outside or rear seal faces out to seal water out. The flat sides go together (against each other).

No, water will not bother the ss spring although that's a good question. OE quality seals have high quality ss springs with the proper tension. Some aftermarket seals have springs of lesser quality & tension and will leak rather easily.

15hpevinrude

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks

The only seal that my housing had was intalled backwards i guess. The flat side was facing out, and no second seal behind it! they also put silicone around the o ring seal at the other end of the housing!