Prop seal 2005 Volvo penta

Yukon2013

Recruit
Were can I find info or videos on replaceing a prop seal on a 2005 Volvo penta out drive leaking due to fishing line

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Yes: You don't say if it is an SX or a duo-prop. I replaced my seal on a Volvo sx drive a couple of years ago. Actually, it was fairly easy. I did have to make a tool out of some 2" pipe that I used to take off a locking ring. I found the information on the web that covered most of it. When I had it all apart, I took it to the dealer to buy the seal and they pressed it in for free. Cost about 6 dollars for the seal. I was carefull to mark the loaction of the locking ring, and there was also a rolling torque value to use. Check it out. Dave-R

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I had a seal leak beginning of this season and while I do pretty much everything else on my boat myself, I found it less expensive and less of a headache to just take my outdrive to the local mechanic and have them do it since they had the special tool needed to remove the shaft and replace the seal. Cost me about $500 but it was done right and I didn't have to fight with it. That special tool is like $300 itself if I recall correctly (unless you make something similar yourself like Dave-R did).

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I can't help with the videos online, but I did make my own tools to 1- remove the carrier, and 2- install the new seal.......

If you have access to a welder, the carrier removal tool is super simple to make, cost me $6. I bought a 6" piece of pipe bit enough diameter to fit around the inside of the carrier. I then cut notches in it to grab on to the 3 spokes inside the carrier. I welded on a 3ft. piece of steel pipe to it to add leverage for turning. First I remove the locking bolt inside the carrier, and it unscrewed very easily with this tool:

carrier_tool1.jpg
carrier_tool2.jpg

For the prop shaft seal installation tool, I had a 1ft. section of 1.5" pvc pipe, and a pipe cap. I filed down the INSIDE of the pipe, to form a somewhat of a beveled edge..... allowing the seal to fit snuggly on it. I then inserted it into the carrier, and a few wacks of the hammer on the pipe cap, installed perfectly!

seal_tool1.jpg

seal_tool2.jpg

Hope this helps a little!!!!!!!!

Phil

Attachments

• carrier_tool2.jpg
    carrier_tool2.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 0