Prop rotation

Englishcake

Recruit
Hi there, I recently purchased a prop for my 1977 Bayliner quarter master with an AQ 130 Volvo penta and a 280 outdrive. We changed to a 15 degree but the guy also suggested changing from a left hand to a right hand prop. He said I could go into the outdrive and change the rotation. I bowed to his superior knowledge as he said this was a good idea. But now I’m not so sure....has anyone changed their rotation like this? Does it cause problems with the gears? Any info. much appreciated before I ruin my outdrive 😀cheers

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Did he say how you would change it? Yes, it can probably be done, but you would need to switch gears around in lower unit. It is not as simple as just moving the shift lever or anything. In a left rotation motor, the forward and reverse gears are switched or opposite from a right hand rotating motor. Trying to switch rotation without switching gears would put all the strain of forward driving on the "reverse" gear, which is not meant for that. It would ruin the gears pretty quick. So, while yes it can be done, it is not going to be a quick or simple switch. (probably not cheap either)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
on a 280, you move the shift linkage from one side of the shifter on the trans to the other to change direction. its about a 5 minute job including proper adjustment

follow the factory manual for adjustment.

Right hand rotation is the common direction, why did you have a LH prop on it to begin with.

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
I didn't realize you could do that on the 280's. I am surprised the gears can swap function like that. Thanks Scott. Learned something new today!

Englishcake

Recruit
It’s had a right hand prop it’s whole life. The guy who sold me a new prop changed the pitch slightly and recommended changing the prop rotation as this would benefit the gears which may have worn down running in one direction over the years. He said changing the rotation I’d have another 40 years trouble free and it’s easy to do on the 280...where can I find the factory manual to help me with this.....cheers.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member