Prop recommendation - 70hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
So i have this new to me rig - 95 force 70 on a 1980 four winns 16 ft. No tach and waiting for trim motor but sounded at a good rpm range at wot with motor down. I checked prop and is a 11 5/8 x 11! From my past experience with omc motors I wad expecting about a 15” pitch would be closer to what is needee for a 1000 lb open bow. Thoughts on what prop i should start with?

thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I ran a 16.5 ft aluminum boat, weighing 900#, with a '95 Force 70.
Had the boat for many years, tried a bunch of props.

11.5 x 13 Pitch props worked the best overall.
A cupped prop gave me better bite and hole shot, and kept the wot rpm around 5400.
A non cupped version of the same prop a little slower hole shot, but upped the rpm to 5600.
Remember, the props that fit that motor are small diameter, and were originally for lower hp motors, 40 - 60 hp.

Instead of buying a new prop, or 3, and spending $$$, why not spend $40 and get an inductive tach
like a TinyTach, and then you will know if you have the right prop.

Your current prop may be spot on.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Michigan Propeller has a prop finder service.
Send them the specs and they recommend the right prop.
From the experience I get from this site your prop is close.
You try the prop forum on this site??

And get the tiny tach like Roscoe suggested.
I got one off eBay 16$

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer

A cupped prop gave me better bite and hole shot, and kept the wot rpm around 5400.
A non cupped version of the same prop a little slower hole shot, but upped the rpm to 5600.
Remember, the props that fit that motor are small diameter, and were originally for lower hp motors, 40 - 60 hp.

Instead of buying a new prop, or 3, and spending $$$, why not spend $40 and get an inductive tach

Thanks a million!

1700 1992

Recruit

Been reading your 70HP Force comments. I have a 1992 1700BR, I believe the dry weight is just over 1000#. I have a 10" diameter prop, not sure of pitch because I can't remove from shaft. would the 11.5x13 prop work well with my boat ?

thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.