Prop recomendations for Volvo 4.3 SX Outdrive, 20 ft. Glastron

gdeangel

Seaman
I dinged up my prop last weekend, and it seems like a replacement (aluminum) is not that much more than getting it professionally repaired. The boat is a 1997, but new to me. It seems to run well enough with the current prop., but before getting on this forum I didn't really understand WOT. I saw something for my engine that rated it for 4800 WOT, and I'm probably getting somewhere around 4400. Then again I am usually on Lake Erie in conditions where I don't run the boat flat out at 100% open throttle. The one time I tried to open it up all the way on an inland lake, I ran aground, thus the need to replace my prop now.

One thing I notice is that under 20 MPH, the boat tends to lose plane. I've tried various trim settings and it's doesn't do much. Don't know if this is something I can tweak by changing the prop pitch or style...

The current prop is a Michegan Wheel, hard to make out the numbers, but I think it's 3 x 14 1/2 x 19 aluminum prop. I-boats has what I think is the same prop, p/n 61003, as well as another Michegan Wheel prop with the same numbers that is called "Vortex". Doesn't say much about the difference between the two... as well as other ones from Solas and Quicksilver that appear to have the same specs. Anyone have a specific recommendation on what I should get to replace my old prop?

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Prop recomendations for Volvo 4.3 SX Outdrive, 20 ft. Glastron

We are in the same boat. I also banged my prop and looking for a replacement. I also have the 4.3gl Volvo penta and am currently running the stock 21p. I can spin it lot max rpms, even though I am at 4500'. I am thinking about getting the 21 fixed and look for a SS replacement.

Brewman61

Ensign
Re: Prop recomendations for Volvo 4.3 SX Outdrive, 20 ft. Glastron

Not a bad idea to have a spare prop. Shop I use would charger around $45 to fix an AL 3 blade 14.5".
Fix the one, buy another. Carry spare and tools on boat, just like having a spare tire for your vehicles.