prop question

cyclops222

Ensign
Decades ago I checked with the racing division of High Five props. He said the prop wastes lots of hp & acceleration. I am very pleased with my Power Tech PTC4 S S props. They are so grippy and efficient that I do not need to use the drive trim at all. The boat has no bow rise it simply accelerates very fast while staying level. Erriiee feeling to just accelerate so fast and level. Like it. (y)(y)(y)

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The High 5.... It is of course a 5 blade. The Blades certainly are Smaller as there are more of them, and the Diameter of the Prop is smaller than 3 and 4 blade Props. The Blades do have some Rake, and a Progressive Pitch. Being a smaller Diameter, also means the Engine, can be mounted Higher on the Transom before the Prop will suffer Ventilation, but it isn't a Racing Prop. It was developed for Water Sports, and does a Decent Job in that Application. They do provide very smooth operation, when new, but after any Repair, that might change based on how well the Repair was done
Would I run One? No, I stick with Moderately High Performance type Props, like the OMC/BRP RAKER, and the Mercury Enertia, both are good Props with plenty of Progressive Pitch, Rake, and Cup which gives both of them a tenacious Grip on the Water. Both are also of good at holding the entire Hull out of the Water, not just the Bow(My Avatar Pic, shows the boat running the Enertia on a VP SX Drive. The Propshaft is almost perfectly Horizontal, not making any Rooster Tail)
If I could find the proper 4 Blade Prop, I would be cutting 2 Blades off and rebalancing it, and using it, as there would an increase of several Mph, with a slight tendency for slippage upon Acceleration
Here is the boat 22 yrs ago with the RAKER, the Enertia has better Holeshot and Top End than the RAKER

Attachments

• MVI_0362.m4v
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

cyclops222

Ensign
I asked Power Tech to give me the " Grippiest Prop " they made. He said I could lose 5 mph. The PTC4 prop allows me to run down P W C that cut as close to my boat as possible. That all stopped when I turned VERY sharply into them. We missed each other by 5 to 10 feet at about 47 mph. End of them cutting off other boats in our area.

Rugglesworth

Seaman
I just cross referenced my stock prop, they don't have it as a 13.75x21p anymore. It cross referenced to a 14.5x19p black max so I picked that up with a flo torq II hub kit. Taking it out this morning for a sea trial with a full tank of gas. Taking one buddy out with me.

Scott06

Admiral
I just cross referenced my stock prop, they don't have it as a 13.75x21p anymore. It cross referenced to a 14.5x19p black max so I picked that up with a flo torq II hub kit. Taking it out this morning for a sea trial with a full tank of gas. Taking one buddy out with me.
somewhere in here or when you get back verify the tach vs a shop tach so you know what numbers you get today are reasonably accurate.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A Merc Prop would have a Part# on it, which will include the Pitch, so if your Props Part# now goes to a Different Pitch, it isn't likely a Merc/Quicksilver Prop to begin with

Rugglesworth

Seaman
A Merc Prop would have a Part# on it, which will include the Pitch, so if your Props Part# now goes to a Different Pitch, it isn't likely a Merc/Quicksilver Prop to begin with
Yeah it was the original merc prop that came with the boat (boat has 363 hours on it ) and yes it had the pitch on it. They don't make it anymore. 48 78122 A40 21P. Verified multiple ways. It was a 13.75 x 21P prop.

Rugglesworth

Seaman
somewhere in here or when you get back verify the tach vs a shop tach so you know what numbers you get today are reasonably accurate.
I don't have a shop tach but the tach in the boat showed 4800 at WOT. It performed well and got on a plane really quick. I'm happy with it.