Prop Question

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
it's sad........hands are used to hold a phone 24 in 7, not to learn how something works.
off topic, but, I'm just say'in,

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. The way that engine is set up…has a fair bit to do with a few issues, I’d imagine. Not to mention that it’s a canoe, haha.
The engine is too heavy and too high mounted for that thing for sure. Must be a hell of a thing.
I’d be almost certain that she’d go just as well with a 6hp set well on her…and be much more pleasant a thing underway.
But if it helps you any…that engine I know of…on an inflatable rib about 3 metres in length. That has an 11” prop on it I’m sure. Did have a 8 or 9” on it and it was screaming. It now does about 27/28 mph from memory.

NATO556

Cadet
Hi. The way that engine is set up…has a fair bit to do with a few issues, I’d imagine. Not to mention that it’s a canoe, haha.
The engine is too heavy and too high mounted for that thing for sure. Must be a hell of a thing.
I’d be almost certain that she’d go just as well with a 6hp set well on her…and be much more pleasant a thing underway.
But if it helps you any…that engine I know of…on an inflatable rib about 3 metres in length. That has an 11” prop on it I’m sure. Did have a 8 or 9” on it and it was screaming. It now does about 27/28 mph from memory.
The motor sits on a manual spring loaded lift that goes up and down based on the water depth for shallow running. On a 19’ foot canoe the 15HP 2 stroke is very common in Alaska to get your load back up stream with Lift.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
The motor sits on a manual spring loaded lift that goes up and down based on the water depth for shallow running. On a 19’ foot canoe the 15HP 2 stroke is very common in Alaska to get your load back up stream with Lift.
Fair play. Horses for courses I suppose. Must admit…little bit envious reading that. Alaska is a place I’m obsessed with, most of my life. Would love to go one day. Best of luck.