Prop Question

Wherrin

Recruit
I recently added power poles to my bass boat. My hole shot is all but gone due to the increased weight. Takes a long time to get on plane. I am running a 13x21p 3 bladed. What do you guys suggest to get it back? 4 blade same pitch or drop in pitch?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, welcome aboard

next answer all the questions

what engine?
what gear case ratio?
what RPM are you at at WOT (verify with a shop tach)
what GPS speed are you achieving at WOT?
what boat
what does the boat weigh?
are you trimming in all the way for your hole shot?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
If you are happy with your current prop other than a sloppy hole shot, Adding ports (probably 3/8") under the leading edge of the blades (prop shop chore) will certainly help, or find a ported prop with the closest resemblance to your current prop and if you buy a Mercury prop you can get rubber plugs to change the diameter of the holes for specific tuning...to name one supplier.

If not happy then adding another blade will depend on the engines ability to drive it adequately and usually another blade is more lossy at high speeds as the efficiency is less than a 3 blade of the same basic design and pitch is usually dropped at least 1" to compensate for that loss.

Wherrin

Recruit
first, welcome aboard

next answer all the questions

what engine? Mercury 2 Stoke Optimax 90hp
what gear case ratio? 2.33:1
what RPM are you at at WOT (verify with a shop tach) Boat Tach reads 4800-4900
what GPS speed are you achieving at WOT? 38
what boat Triton Aluminum 17’
what does the boat weigh? 990 standard, but with power poles and batteries around 1200
are you trimming in all the way for your hole shot? Yes.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
If they are dragging in water when trying to plane a different prop will not help... as posted nedd additional info or pics