Prop question

cesandroid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, I’ve got a 70 Johnson on a Starcraft st150 with OEM 131/4x17 alum prop. It spins 5300. It does 35 with 2 adults. I was looking for a bit better top end but reading this forum rpm is too low. Should I go with ss lower pitch? Thanks everyone. I’m new to props.

WesNewell

Chief Petty Officer
ST150 was made up til 1985 from what I find. Dry weight is 745#. A properly mounted 70 hp engine should get you 40mph. Check your engine mounting height before looking at prop. AV plate should not be below hull.

cesandroid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sorry forgot to add that the motor is moved up to where it should be. It gets on plane reasonably well. Thanks for the input so far. I have tilt and trim as well.

WesNewell

Chief Petty Officer
It's a 36yo boat. Check for water logged flotation, hull condition, or anything else that may slow it down. From my research, the engine has a 2.42 gear ratio and rated rpm to 5500. Your reported 35 mph? @ 5300 rpm is actually a 0% slip so the only thing that comes to mind is with the 17p prop you should be turning a lot more rpm's. I think the engine should be mounted with the av plate about an inch above the hull bottom assuming there's no jackplate for that hull design. Maybe a tuneup is in order, or maybe that's all you'll get from that combo.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What's the min-max wot rpm range factory stated for said motor ? if 5500 its the max wot rpm go for a OEM 131/4 x 16 prop, should put the motor revving righ at 5500 rpm as previously loaded.

Happy Boating

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Hmm what about stainless steel? Any better?
Used to be that aluminum props were basic design thrust devices that didn't have all the goodies you'll find in SS props....detailed up at the top of this screen under "Shop" and then go to "Props" and then go to the "Tutorial". Every one of these goodies makes for different outcomes.

SS obviously resists dings better and usually works the engine harder for a given dia-pitch since they are usually built to grabs the water better......a higher performance thrust solution. Some have ports under the blades that deliberately introduce exhaust gasses into the props slip stream to reduce the density of the medium allowing the engine to spin up faster which develops the HP-thrust faster so one can have a higher pitched prop for top end but get a good hole shot ( going from idle to having the boat up on the water) as the prop acts like it has a lot less pitch in the shot.

So folks like Turning Point (company) designed their "Hustler" model alum prop with all the goodies found in SS props less slightly thicker blades, much cheaper price, and aluminum material. Iboats sells them and SS props in that "Prop" section I mentioned above.

Getting the right prop for your boat is like shooting skeet with your eyes closed! It takes time, testing, and most of all usually $$$$$.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I'd check the tach for accuracy. The rest of the inputs are pretty solid....gear ratio won't change, prop pitch won't change, GPS by all counts is dead-nuts-on, so what's left? Maybe you have the dial on the back of the tach at the wrong number.