prop question?

dartster2

Cadet
I just put my prop back on after storing through the winter and i noticed that i seems to not sit flush to the edge of the motor lower unit....is this normal...i've tightened all the way and seems to sit fine...i just thought that it sat more flush to engine....can anyone help?

dartster2

Cadet
Re: prop question?

One other question......should i get a new prop than the one that came with the motor?....it's a little bent up and nicked up after 1 season...would a new aluminum or steel make the boat ride bette or more efficient?....how do i chose a new one?.....please all suggestions would help me...thanks!

blazed4x4

Seaman Apprentice

If your prop isnt sittin inside the diameter of your gearcase, sounds like youve got the deflector behind the prop backwards. Try pullin the prop and flippin the deflector around. If your prob is bent up and nicked, send it out for reconditioning. Or pick up a new one. Bends and nicks in prop can cuase poor performance(cavatation etc.). If prop is really bad, can cause bent prop shaft or leaking seals in gearcase.

sawcat

Seaman Apprentice

rarely does an engine come with the properprop unless it is a mfgers pkg. call dealer & find out specs. on r.p.m.s. assumeing you have a tachometer go to michigan propeller web site & they will give you the best diameter& pitch specs to start with then go to a used boat shop & they will sell you a good used prop & will trade with you untill you hit the right combination between boat/typical load/& prop let them know what you are trying to achieve and im sure they will work with you. alum rather than stainless unless you really need stainless it is heavy and will do quick damage to lowerunit if it becomes bent you can buy 3 new alum to 1 new stainless & your engine can turn alumm with alot less stress on gearcase :cool: