Prop pitch versus diameter

Greebo

Seaman Apprentice
According to the Volvo Penta information I have on prop selection, a 14 x 19 prop gives a WOT speed of 31 to 38 MPH, while a 15 X 19 gives a WOT speed of 36 to 42 MPH for the combination I have
As I though the speed was a factor of pitch rather than diameter, I can't understand why the 15" prop is faster.
Why is that?
What are the pros and cons of using a larger diam prop?
Still learning.
Greebo

Triton II

Commander
Re: Prop pitch versus diameter

There are much more experienced prop experts on this forum, but briefly this is my understanding.

A prop's thrust is a factor of pitch and diameter. Providing the prop is not ventilating or cavitating an increase in diameter will give an increase in thrust IF the engine can attain its best power rpm or better. An increase in thrust will give an increase in boat speed.

A pro of an increase in diameter is more thrust at any given rpm, the con is that the engine may not be able to provide enough torque to enable it to turn the prop comfortably, and another con is that the prop tip speed may be increased to a level where it loses efficiency.

However, since Volvo Penta provided the speed info I assume the 15" diameter is ideal for your application. Hope this helps...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Once again prop diameter is a function of prop design. If these two props are identical in every respect except diameter, the 14 inch will spool up a bit faster and provide a little better hole shot for skiing/water sports. The 15 will provide a bit more top end. When we talk about prop diameter we try to convey that props are designed for a specific engine or range of engines. You would not obviously attempt to put a 15 inch diameter prop on a 40/50 HP Merc triple with a small gearcase as it simply would be way too large. What happens with prop design is that as pitch increases, diameter decreases slightly (1/4 inch diameter is typical/inch or two of pitch) PROVIDED the prop is from the same manufacturers, same series (model) and same material. One inch in diameter change is significant and you can expect performance differences. If in your example, both props are identical and both were actually designed for used on that outdrive, then there is the obvious advantage that goes with the design (do you want towing ability at the cost of top end, or do you want top end at the cost of hole shot)? That's why there are two props available. Only you can decide which one is right. One will put the engine at the top end of the rpm band with an average load. One will not.

Greebo

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks a lot.
I'm learning as I go along, such a help to have simple concise explanations.
Once my new prop arrives I'll try the practical steps to work out if it is the correct one for my boat.
Greebo