Prop Material?

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander
What type of aluminum,magnesium or pot metal are props sast from? Grade would also be helpfull.
Thanx in advance

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop Material?

That's a good question and probably mfgr dependent. I know nor have I heard of anything used but castable aluminum; no pot metal, zinc, or other type stuff. I have no idea, but obviously it is a castable alloy with a fair amount of work hardening resistance as you can ding one, as long as you don't go over the point of no return, and ball-pein it back in shape.

What I have learned from experience is that lower hp engines can hit objects and the prop can resist the impact, with no damage or a minor ding or two, whereas the higher the hp the less forgiving the blades. I had a 125 hp engine once and I know for a fact that I was IDLING through some saplings and I came upon a 2" sapling and bent the begeebies out of a blade.

Mark

Last edited:

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Just curious got a few props that need the edges touched up and the weld foreman at the shop said he'd fill them in and I was gonna blend them back to contour but wanted to get the right filler material.

hwsiii

Commander

Fanny, most of the props are made from Aluminum AA-514, Silafont or Mercalloy,that Mercury engineered specifically for their Props. They all use Aluminum, Mafnesium and Silicon in their products, just different Percentages for each manufaturer.

If you go with AA 514, you can't go wrong.

H