FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I replaced the impeller on my 1998 40hp force outboard and lined the linkage nuts back at the exact mark but when I shift into neutral the prop keeps turning. Is there somewhere else I can make an adjustment or any suggestions on what I should do?
When you say the prop is still turning, does it still look as if it is gear? I have seen my prop turn in neutral when on muffs, but it wasn't in gear as I could stop the prop. Obviously be careful if you are going to try and stop the prop in case it is still in gear.
If you are on muffs, and going from forward or reverse to neutral, the prop will still spin for a little bit until friction overcomes the acceleration and slows it down. My prop naturally spins when in neutral, but not enough to propel the boat. I also found that I had to kind of make my own mark in order to set the shift linkage where the controls would work properly.