Prop hitting anode

smeetre

Cadet
Just bought a Solas 14/19 one fin hits the anode ground out a small notch so it would clear is this prop out of balance and will cause harm to the prop shaft?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???---Did you hit something ?-----Why would you grind on a new prop ??----Perhaps the prop shaft is bent.----

smeetre

Cadet
???---Did you hit something ?-----Why would you grind on a new prop ??----Perhaps the prop shaft is bent.----
No did not hit something brand new prop just installed last night going to try it out today the Finn hits the anode

flashback

Captain
Mark the blade that's hitting then remove the prop and re-position it on the shaft and see if the same blade still hits...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
If you slide the prop on the shaft and turn till it hits the tab, mark the location the remove the prop, turn it 120 degrees and repeat, then repeat. If all blades don't hit the same point, as others have said, your shaft is bent, the hub is not positioned properly/wrong one/defective, or the prob has been bent by impact with something.

If all that is straight, Mercury makes a thin tab or just make a notch is the tab you have. I have done that running a 24P Ballistic on a 90 Merc.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Just bought a Solas 14/19 one fin hits the anode ground out a small notch so it would clear is this prop out of balance and will cause harm to the prop shaft?
You ground down the prop blade nit the annode? If so you picked the wrong one to grind, yes this will mess with balance.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Either a bent Propshaft, or a Blade with the wrong geometry. Some 3rd Party brands are famous for "One of these Blades is not like the Others, one of the Blades just doesn't belong..."

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Either a bent Propshaft, or a Blade with the wrong geometry. Some 3rd Party brands are famous for "One of these Blades is not like the Others, one of the Blades just doesn't belong..."
Hey Jimmbo, just curious......some names?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Agree. Can think of one or two that have a terrible quality control for their finished product

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I remember in 2018, I found a lot of TP props where one of the three was distorted. It was like if Wax had been used in the Production, and had sagged.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I remember in 2018, I found a lot of TP props where one of the three was distorted. It was like if Wax had been used in the Production, and had sagged.
Many cheap props are investment cast...this uses a wax model to create a casting mold for molten metal. If quality control is top notch, extremely accurate castings can be produced, how ever....if someone looks the other way for just a few seconds...you can have junk!!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
OMC and Mercury used/use the Wax Method, and they certainly weren't Cheap Props

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I also think the TP 4 blade props used two different blade designs on the same prop. SO maybe OP has a 4 blade. OP hasnt been back so looks like we are more interested than he/she is

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I am aware of the dual blade design, I wasn't referring to those. They were 4 blades, I was referring to 3 blade Props. If I had mentioned issues with the 4 Blade Props, People would have been all over me like Bees to Honey about the Dual Design, which by the way I think is kind of Stupid, but hey Marketing...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Many cheap props are investment cast...this uses a wax model to create a casting mold for molten metal. If quality control is top notch, extremely accurate castings can be produced, how ever....if someone looks the other way for just a few seconds...you can have junk!!
Currently advertising they "squeeze" cast. In effect injection die casting

Still scratching my head as to how an "out of round" prop made it past the balancing process......if it made it in the first place. Maybe QA was on vacation

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Currently advertising they "squeeze" cast. In effect injection die casting

Still scratching my head as to how an "out of round" prop made it past the balancing process......if it made it in the first place. Maybe QA was on vacation
Shows that the QC is like, Paint, Box, and get them out the Door. Any complaint by the Customer is be treated as "You must have bent it in the first few seconds of use, Warranty Denied".

The Blades I saw, looked they had a different Rake Contour, than the other two

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Shows that the QC is like, Paint, Box, and get them out the Door. Any complaint by the Customer is be treated as "You must have bent it in the first few seconds of use, Warranty Denied".

The Blades I saw, looked they had a different Rake Contour, than the other two
Looking through the import/export records….. it looks like we can blame the Tiawanese for the problem…..lol

67FD931F-8F8E-46DE-9A09-87A05565E184.png

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I also think the TP 4 blade props used two different blade designs on the same prop. SO maybe OP has a 4 blade. OP hasnt been back so looks like we are more interested than he/she is
That's true. I have 2 of those. Certainly the mid range pair vs the high speed pair won't hit the same spot on the TT.....each pair will hit the same spot in different locations. My only alum. props for the last eon were TP aluminum, 3 and 4 blades. I never checked their blade tip alignments....never had a reason to.