Prop help for 19' Ranger Fish n Ski

PaulnJess

Recruit
Hi everyone,

I have a 19' 1978 Ranger Fish/Ski boat with a Mercruiser 898 (Chevy 305) stern drive. The existing prop is a 14.5x19 RH 15 spline.

I have only had the boat for a little while, but I have noticed it takes a lot of time and speed to get on plane and stay there. Doing my research I have seen either approval for a 4 blade prop or drop down to a 14.5x17 three blade prop. We usually cruise around, fish, or pull the kid on a tube, so high end top speed is not a must have for me. If anyone has any suggestions or opinions, or a boat similar situation like mine, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Paul

ahicks

Captain
It's about priorities. If you can decide if the priority is pulling/water sports, the 17 will win. If it's about "cruising" the 19 will win. There is no clear winner for an "all around" prop.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Without posting the max wot rpm numbers the motor achieved as loaded say cruising won't be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel any time soon. The max wot rpm is needed as a starter info for the equation..

Happy Boating

ahicks

Captain
Without posting the max wot rpm numbers the motor achieved as loaded say cruising won't be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel any time soon. The max wot rpm is needed as a starter info for the equation..

Happy Boating

Not for some of us....

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Not for some of us....

Sorry my friend, achieved wot rpm is all when max propping right any motor which all motor brands recommends, ear tach is wild, wild guessing, doesn't matter if having a fine tuned musician ear. At least let the OP know which is the correct factory procedure to further decide if wants to go towards that precise route,,

Happy Boating

ahicks

Captain
You can call it whatever you want (wild guessing?). I prefer to think of it as experience, and am fine with the concept that sometimes close is good enough - especially when it comes to cruising props....

Have a great day!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
You are correct on the pitch Ahicks...This was a limited run boat and I apologize to PaulnJess but it was a flop, It was as Bassboat hull mated with a I/O which ended up with a big boat with little room and stern heavy. They came several different HP's and all had slow holeshots. The dealership I subleted to sold them one year and returned inventory