Prop for pontoon

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Hey all<br /><br />Was looking at getting a new prop for my toon this spring. Running a 1991 Evinrude 70 HP with a Michigan 14" X 13" at 5800 RPMs right now on a 24' 2-log toon. Top speed right now is 21 MPH GPS. Looking for something that will perform better all around, but mainly top end speed and ideal cruising. The days of pulling tubes and such have gone by for the most part. I do have a Michigan 14" X 11" which I did run while pulling tubes and with a heavy load. Light load would pull a little over 6K. I don't know what kind of cup, if any, this current 14" X 13" prop has. Just a stock prop I ordered a couple of years ago. Still looks like it is new, with no dings and such. Just wondering if I can expect much improvement going to a different brand, being it's a toon. I have heard the double cupped OMC's are pretty good for toons, as far as cavitation is concerned. Also, any opinion on the Solas Titan Stainless Steel prop they sell here on iboats? Suppose to have extra cupping in the heavy load range. Not really looking for miracles or anything, just wanting to improve a bit. Really, the Michigan does a pretty good job of biting and getting me low end power. Any opinions would be appreciated....<br /><br /> Solas prop I was thinking of

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Prop for pontoon

A toon is toon is a toon. I like the numbers you already have. A 4-blade aluminum Solas would give more blade to push with, but no speed change. A Stailess might get you another mph, two with a stiff tailwind. Best thing is to keep the marine growth at bay if you moor it.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

You're right, WBW. I'm gonna pocket the money and put it toward something useful, like fishin' gear.... ;)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Smart man. If you want to race, get a race boat. Grin.<br /><br />Mark