Prop for F115

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class
My Yam F115 has a 15p prop on it. The recommended pitch from yamaha is 17. My redline is 6000 WOT is 5800 so I am good there. My hole shot is slow this may be reason #2 any thoughts on this?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Prop for F115

Sounds like you have the right prop. Going to a 17 would drop your WOT RPMs to about 5400 and your holeshot would be worse.

Propping charts are good at getting you into the ballpark. But variables (such as saltwater vs freshwater, load, elevation, etc) are not all taken into account. They usually get you within a size plus or minus. 15 is the minus in your case.

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class

looking at yamaha website, and checking their preformance bullitens for my manufacturer and model, when running the test they ran a 17p, and at WOT top was 41-42.

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class

just talked to my KW dealer today at a boat show. I asked him about the props, and which one is good for me. He suggested that if I wanted to go up to a 17p that I should go down in diameter 1/4inch. He said that this helps reduce load on the prop, but is offset by the increase in pitch. Does this sound correct to anyone?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Basically. Props automatically reduce in diameter as pitch is increased. It's a total-blade-surface-area thing. The 17 of the same family as your 15 will probably be 1/4" or so smaller in diameter. But it's not to reduce the load relative to yours, but to keep the load about the same. The pitch is the more significant number of the two. It has a greater effect, although diameter certainly has significance as well.

If you don't already have two props, get the 17. Your car has a spare, your boat should too. I usually advise one prop for speed, one for towing. Consider your 15 a power prop and a 17 a speed prop. If you were considering a stainless prop, the 17 would be my recommendation anyhow. It would spin about the same RPMs as your aluminum 15 and give you another 2-5mph.

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class

The one I have now is a SS with a cup in it. I will probably stick to the same brand PowerTech.