Prop for 1965 Sportwin??? Seals?

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi there, I'm brand new here so please excuse me if my questions have been answered before. I have an evinrude model 9522C 9.5 hp Sportwin, and am wondering what the standard pitch would be? I'll be using it for waterfowling out of a 12-14ft alluminium boat. The motor hadn't run for 20 years, but it fired right up on the third pull, I ran it for about 2 minutes and all seemed great. Unfortunately the seals let in a lot of water. I'm currently tearing the lower end apart, and am wondering if I need to replace all the rubber? I'm getting a gearcase kit, which has the spaghetti seal, water pump gasket, two oil seals, and an o-ring, but I'm wondering about the water tube grommet, and the o-ring for the water tube in the power head. The impeller seems to be in great condition. Do I need to rebuild the carb?? It seemed to run fine.
thanks for any advice

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop for 1965 Sportwin??? Seals?

Unless you somehow managed to pull the water tube out of the powerhead, don't worry about that o-ring up there. The tube is held up in there by a push nut. But if you did pull the watr tube out, you are in for a heck of a job.

Yes, replace all the parts that come in the kit, including the shift rod seal.

I suggest you put in a new impeller anyway, since you have it out.

Personally, I wouldn't go into the carburetor since it seems to be OK as . Your choice.

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the advice. The water tube is still attached to the powerhead, I was just curious. I've read lots about re-doing the points also.....is this necessary? I want the motor to be reliable, but not expensive.

jbjennings

Captain

I'd wait until I got my lower unit resealed and holding water out, then take it for a spin for a short distance back and forth to the launch. If all is well, carry a good paddle and take it for a nice long ride. (I always follow F-R's advice, but the impeller is a definite "do") Only about 18 bucks, too. If it runs just like you want it to, then enjoy it. If you have any misses, running on one cylinder, or anything else, then the first thing I'd do is clean the points, regap them, and check all wires for nicks, cracks, or chaffing, and put it all back together if the coils look in great shape.
As a wise person once told me....."they all run good in a barrel"....
Wait until you get it out on the lake, then make your decision on points and carbs and such.
Good luck,
JBJ

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely pick up a new impeller, I thought about it, and it makes sense that while I have it all apart I might as well change it. I also have a question about the water tube o-ring, I can't figure out how to remove the brass fitting. I'll post that Q also. Thanks again, P