Prop for 1952WA

shadbones

Cadet
Hi All
I Know this has been answered many times, but I'll ask anyways. I have a 2007 1952 WA w/ a 4.3 190 hp, what would you run for a aluminun prop? I had a 14 1/2 x 21 degree, but it was slow (doggy) on take off. I put trim tabs on to help and it did. If I decrease the pitch would I loose top end speed and gas mileage? Thanks

Attachments

• 000_0015.JPG
    000_0015.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 000_0014.JPG
    000_0014.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 0

bardwell02

Recruit
Re: Prop for 1952WA

Hi! I have the exact same setup, but I can't really comment on the 'doggy' takeoff, this is my first boat so I don't have lots of reference. It is a heavy boat though. I've thought about upgrading to a stainless prop but I'm reluctant to mess with it - it's propped about perfect for top speed, with two on board ours will run 43-44 MPH at 4800-4900.

A couple years back Boating magazine did a prop test, I think they used a 3.0 in a bayliner 175, but this prop was the baseline - they did 3 and 4 blade stainless props. It was pretty well done, speed, acceleration, mileage.

What tabs did you put on? I just bought a set of Bennett 12 x 9s off ebay and I'm going to try and get them installed this weekend.

shadbones

Cadet

I bought the instatrim off ebay too. Real easy to install, but had a hard time drilling holes into a new boat. I wish I had bought the indicator lights for them , because its hard to tell where they are set, but I'll get the hang of it. How do like the 1952? My wife & I love ours. We put 168 miles on it in one day. But unfortunatly we've had problems w/ the service work. (fuel pump, boat caught on fire, they forgot to open the seacock, then they put a 4 blade LH prop on, woops we went backwards when we were supposed to go forward). But they are making it up to me in a big way. The Atlantic Ocean is very cold in May in Maine. I had to hold onto the wife, because she was going to jump in. But we still love the boat.

bardwell02

Recruit

We like it, but I think you've already got more miles than our 2005! We don't fish, but I wanted a stern drive with a cuddy and a big, useful cockpit. I've used it to haul building materials to a family cottage that's only accessible by water. We recently moved from Michigan to Texas, so now I'll be boating on these large manmade lakes around Dallas. Usually it's the two of us and my wife likes to ride on that folding stern seat, so that makes an already stern-heavy boat even worse. I'm hoping with the tabs I'll get a smoother ride in the choppy stuff, and maybe plane at lower RPM. Right now it falls right off below 3000.

On the plus side, I like the dry ride and tall windshield. We really liked the low transom and platform over the motor, since we have a yellow lab that likes to swim. I've only had some minor issues - the baitwell pump fell off, some bad gelcoat. Everything else has been trailer or electronic problems. Did yours come with two batteries? We only got one and I thought about upgrading, although with the trim tabs I've spent my boat budget for the year.