Prop for 05' Tahoe Q4 SF 4.3

scottjima

Cadet
2005 Tahoe Q4 SF w/ 4.3. Currently has 3 blade 23p alum. prop installed. We typically have 5 - 7 people on board,(2 - 3 adults, rest kids) and allot of other stuff.<br /><br />I would like to correct a few issues, that I think a new 4 blade or Mercury High Five might correct. I would like opinions...<br /><br />1. I would like to be able to plane faster, at slower speeds.<br />2. In no wake areas, it seems to drift side to side.<br />3. I would like more control when making turns at higher speeds.<br /><br />The boat currently tops out fully loaded around 48mph via GPS, or 50+ via speedo. It will run at max RPM even w/ this weight. Because of this, I was thinking of staying w/ a 23 pitch.<br /><br />Thoughts???

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop for 05' Tahoe Q4 SF 4.3

1) My experience is that a High Five will help you jump up on plane, but it will need more RPM to keep it there. This comparison is with a High Five at around 22 inch pitch and a 3 blade Hill with about the same pitch. The Hill was great at maintaining a low RPM plane after I had some cup added. The High Five over sped slightly.<br /><br />2) Nothing will significantly help your low speed wander. Some say trimming out helps, but I am not convinced of that.<br /><br />3) Are you losing "control" when turning in both directions? Usually single screw boats are a little squirely when turning hard to port at high speeds due to the propeller's rotation. I am not aware of a prop that will help this condition.

scottjima

Cadet

1. Is there anything I can do to get up on plane and still hold at the lower speeds? If I can hit "redline", should I stay w/ the 23 pitch even if I go to a 4 or 5 blade?<br /><br />2. I didn't think there was much I could do w/ this, but thought I would ask anyway.<br /><br />3. I don't think I am losing control, but when the boat crosses wakes at an angle and higher speeds, it makes me a little uneasy. This is much less of a problem when the water is smoother. This could all be normal, as I am new to all this.

QC

Supreme Mariner

1) I have had hydraulic trim tabs on my last two boats and will on every boat I own. Doesn't matter what anybody says to me on this topic. They are the greatest thing period. You can plane at much lower speeds, even out loads and trim out further at top speed without porpoising. What exact RPM are you hitting with an average load in the boat and trimmed out to the highest speed?<br /><br />2) Yup.<br /><br />3) I don't think this is a prop issue. Try lots of different angles for high speed wake crossing. Every wake, boat and speed react differently. You'll figure it out, but it takes time and you will make mistakes.

down_time_1

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 2001 taho s/f with a 150efi ob i've found that the trophy plus 4 blade large vent holes give me the best hole shot and topend,58mph, 3 adults.gear and fuel.I know i have an o/b and yours is an i/o but a friend of mine tried it on his 4.3and his hole shot emproved and he went up in speed over his alum 21.As the alum prop flexes under pressure.Just what i've found out so far.DT1

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

You may want to take a serious look at Smart-tabs...they will subdue the wandering substantially, and cut your plane-time in half and it will stay on plane at a slower speed.<br />Best product made at a very reasonable price.

No Agenda

Cadet

Scott: I have a High 5 21 pitch on a 5.0 VP. Huge improvement on hole shot and planing speed. Very smooth too. It won't make any difference in the no wake wander problem (just don't fight it). Mine stays hooked up in the turns just fine. I can get some cavitation in hard acceleration tight turns from a low speed, but this was a matter of learning to back off the throttle just a little in this situation.<br /><br />A buddy has a High 5 on a 4.3 in an 18' Blue Water. Both of our experiences were that the RPM's at WOT didn't change and we both stayed with the original pitch of the 3 blade alum that came on our boats. In my buddy's case, the dealer suggested dropping down in pitch with the High 5. He did. hit the rev limiter and went back up in pitch. In your case, I'd suggest staying with the 23. Try it out. Talk to the dealer and make sure that if it doesn't work out, you can trade or get a refund. These props are very expensive. Our dealer loaned us the props to try out. If we liked it, we paid for it. If not, just give it back (undamaged of course) and there would be no charge. Of course we both liked it and kept the props.<br /><br />As far as crossing wakes, you might try trimming in a little as you approach the wake to keep the bow down and slowing down slightly. The angle that you cross the wake will also be a big factor in how much roll you experience.

KCSteve

Cadet

BIL Had a Tahoe deck boat and it was slow to plane, porpoised and did not handle well. It came from dealer with a 23 pitch prop. He dropped all the way to a 19 and it worked great. And still never hit rev limiter. If I was you I would try at least a 21 it should help.

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

Scott,<br />I have a 2003 glastron with the same 4.3 motor as you.<br />I tried bunches of props and Found the highfive to cure all the problem you list except the no wake bow steer. <br />IMHO it is the best prop you will find for watersports/cruising hands down.<br />Goodluck.

scottjima

Cadet

I can hit 4800 rpm at 47mph with pretty close max load. With that in mind, wouldn't a 21 pitch be a bad idea?<br /><br />bluewater, did you change pitch with the high five? How much top end did you lose?<br /><br />I've also looked at the Stileto Bay II, 4 blade.<br /><br />I'm also looking at the smart tabs. I am just not sure where to mount them. The stern has a somewhat unique shape to it...

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

Stick with a 23 pitch. If going with a highfive. It is a little smaller in diameter than your three blade I doubt you will lose more than 100 rpm. <br />I have not tried the bay II. <br />Check this out it is a steal!!!<br /> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31283&item=4545559624&rd=1 <br /><br />I am in no way connected to the seller. It is a great price for a high five.<br />If you don't like it turn around and sell it this summer and you will probably make money!

John_S

Rear Admiral

I think tabs, either smart or hyd like Bennett, will improve 1 and 2, and possibly 3. If you boat big water, I'd lean toward the hyd type. There are many a post in these forums about both types. After installing tabs, and you still need quicker planing, try venting the current prop. <br /><br />Smart tabs for your boat will be around $200.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Scottjima:<br />The majority of answers which are posted are trying to find the correct prop to do all of the work that it was never intended to do. Classic answers which completely ignore the second and most important part of boat performance - The hull design! Prop s are not the only answer!<br /><br />Let's take a closer look at your wish list!<br />"1. I would like to be able to plane faster, at slower speeds.<br />2. In no wake areas, it seems to drift side to side.<br />3. I would like more control when making turns at higher speeds."<br /><br />In addition to the above you have stated that the boat runs at the max RPM even with a full load.<br /><br />Wish #1 is for better acceleration to plane, but since you have only one "gear" (prop pitch) and you are at the limit now in WOT RPMs you can't (or should not) go lower. More blades will help on the low end but can reduce performance at the high end and on deep V hulls they may induce a torque list to port.<br /><br />The reason your hole shot is slow and the bow rise is high is due to boat balance. Most power boats are stern loaded, and the seating is to the stern (extra people). The Q4 is a deep V hull which is designed to handle and ride better in a chop as well as go faster at WOT. However when the boat accelerates the stern cuts into the water and the bow goes for the path of least resistance (the air). <br /><br />Being able to "temporarily" change the hull design to give immediate stern lift upon acceleration would be a significant advantage, because the boat will gain the speed needed to support the hull - getting on plane. Props do not change boat attitude. Trim Tabs Do!<br /><br />The #2 wish has absolutely nothing to do with a prop. (keep in mind that props are for propelling). The reason the boat "wanders" at slow speeds is simple, the keel / bow is deep in the water and the boat is bow steering. Trim Tabs will correct this if deployed down (Smart Tabs do it automatically) because they are mounted on each side of the transom and resist the "crabbing" from side to side. It is a great side benefit.<br /><br />#3 wish is also a Hull design issue. The steering ribs on the bottom are supposed to keep the boat from sliding in turns, however the deep V shape allows the boat to list easily in turns. Deploying the inside tabs in a turn (slightly) will keep the boat from listing too much, it will anchor the turn, and avoid the sliding. Again this is not a prop function, it is a hull function. I understand that a four or five bladed prop will "hold" the water better in a turn but this is extra resistance on the prop which will result in reduced speed in turns and increased fuel usage. Smart Tabs automatically adjust in turns. Less lean, sharper turns, and faster turns. <br /><br />Now if you really want top speed and the biggest bang for the buck. Use Smart Tabs for the improved hull efficiency and performance, then add a performance prop like Turning Point 3 bladed cupped aluminum in one pitch higher than your current. You should pick up about 5 to 6 MPH, and have everything on your wish list.

scottjima

Cadet

John,<br /><br />Thanks for all the info. I have been looking at the smart tabs and would like to try them. It sounds like I should install these before selecting the prop. The problem I have is where to install them. The outdrive sits in somewhat a cove in the stern. Because of this, the tail end of the stern is closer to the prop than most other boats. The link below shows this. Will it be ok to mount the smart tabs this far back?<br /><br /> http://www.trackermarineadcreator.com/media/tahoe/images/TAQ4SFR405jpg_PB_05_700.jpg <br /><br />FWIW, when there is more weight on the bow, things behave much better. I am also getting better at driving/controlling the boat.<br /><br />Lastly, which smart tabs should I get? The application chart shows the larger tabs, but read a reference on the web to stepping down one size. The boat weights about 2500 empty, and is 19.5' long.<br /><br />Thanks in advance

QC

Supreme Mariner

Iwo(jima),<br /><br />Please check out adjustable tabs like Bennett's too. They are more expensive, but give you many more options. Not a slam on the Smart Tabs by any stretch, you should just check out the adjustable type too.<br /><br />Explain the behavior comment a little more. Is the bow bouncing up and down (porpoising) with weight in the stern? Or does it just track better with more weight up front? Usually for top speed you will want weight back as long as it doesn't porpoise (both types of tabs will help this condition). Weight up from should help planing times (again tabs will accomplish same and you don't have to ask anybody to move). One of the upsides of adjustable tabs is you can adjust for weight inequities from side to side. If your three hundred pound cousin sits to one side you can make him/her feel better by leveling out the boat.<br /><br />Also, don't forget to play a lot with your existing drive trim . . .

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Scott;<br /><br />You should have no problems mounting the trim tabs, and I would put them inside the I/O well as far to the outsides as possible. Unless I am mistaken with regard to the space available. Please feel free to call me to discuss the installation at 800-233-0194.

QC

Supreme Mariner

nautiJohn,<br /><br />It is obvious that I am a fan of adjustable tabs (I like to adjust and play with toys), but I have to admit I have no experience with the Smart Tabs product. I was on your site and noticed that there are claims that the product assists in stability in turns. I don't understand this as I use my tabs in the OPPOSITE direction of the turn to increase stability. If I play with them enough, I can get the boat to act somwhat like a tunnell and turn much closer to "flat", more fun than any benefit. It would seem that the Smart Tabs would increse pressure on the "higher" side of the hull through the turn and theoretically actually increase the level of lean. What am I missing?

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Quietcat:<br /><br />Thank you for the question and not assuming that we are exaggerating the claims.<br /><br />It is actually quite simple. Smart Tabs react to the water pressure, not only when they are deployed at slower speeds, but also during the on plane cruising speeds. When the boat goes into a turn the "inside" tab takes a shorter path than the "outside" tab. The inside tab will have less water pressure and the tendency to deploy slightly. This help keep the boat more level in the turn and tends to anchor the turn. Keep in mind that the tabs are up once the boat is on plane (15 to 20 MPH) and the outside tab stay in that position. <br /><br />It is quite interesting when riding in the boat. We have crossed waves and wakes at a 45 degree angle ( at 25 MPH) and been able to do so "hands off" the wheel with only a few degrees of course variation. <br /><br />Just the other day I tested a Tracker Tundra with a 115 HP Merc, with four people on board, and at WOT put the boat into a 360 turn with the wheel locked, and never blew the prop out. The trim was up for WOT max speed.<br /><br />We did the same thing on a 21 ft. 2002 Larson. Quite honestly this was not something we had on our wish list when we were developing the product. It was just one of those extra perks.<br /><br />By the way, I am a fan of trim tabs in general and I think that the choice between helm controlled tabs and Smart Tabs should be dictated by application and how the boat is used. As an example I had Bennett Tabs on my 30 ft sedan bridge, and would have them again on that boat or a similar one.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the answer John. I have to say though that the fact that the "inside" tab pushes harder is counter-intuitive; at least for me. My head says that the "outside" (I undersand the speed difference) would have lower water pressure as it has been thrown up from the dynamics of the turn, leading me to beleive that the inside tab would be pushed up by that corner digging in and the outside tab would push down as it is being lifted. Weird. Frankly, I'd like to see data from some sort of piston travel meter thingee or something similar. Not being argumentative, just trying to understand.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Quietcat;<br /><br />I appreciate that you are just trying to understand the system, and I appreciate your efforts and questions. <br /><br />The outside tab takes a longer path and obviously in the same time frame as the inner tab. More distance in the same time translates into more Miles per Hour which translates into more water pressure on the tab. So the outside tab stays up, while the inside tab relaxes a little. One other thing is that the tabs do not come up to a horizontal position and stop, they can go up another 12 to 15 degrees. The reason we do not want them to stop is that we want to control the lift (pressure). We do not want to drive the bow down at higher speeds.<br /><br />We have not done any sophisticated pressure testing, but we have hooked up trim indicators on each tab. The position changes slightly as indicated above. However, the proof is in the testing, and the results are significant, and repeatable.<br /><br />Find a buddy who does not want to invest in helm control tabs and get him to try Smart Tabs. We guarantee the performance (satisfaction) so he would have little to lose, and you could get some first hand experience.