Prop Failure

jamieat

Seaman Apprentice
Hey, I got one for you guys. I was on my way back to the landing on Saturday, as I was running down the river, my motor began to vibrate vigorously. I shut the motor down, and tried to inspect it from the water and didnt notice any apparent damage. I was afraid I had bent my prop shaft although I was absolutely certain I had not struck anything. I am running a 13.25 x 19pitch Hustler Turning Point alum. prop.
Well, I had to idle back to the ramp. When I took my boat out of the water, one of the blades on my prop had almost severed off the hub! It cracked from the thick side in. there is about an inch of metal holding it on. Inspecting the prop showed that I had not hit anything as there is not a single dent or ding on this prop. Looks brand new! I dont get it. What could cause a prop to fail? My guess is the integrity of the metal, or a flaw from the factory. I have some pics and will try to post.

JT

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Prop Failure

Sounds like a manufacturing defect, send those same pics to turning point along with a polite letter explaining the situation. Warranty replacement sounds logical.

jamieat

Seaman Apprentice

I would like to say that Turning Point Propellers are great products. Their customer service is even better. I emailed them some pics, and an explanation of what happened, and within two hours had a reply telling me to send them the six digit code off of either the box or on the prop itself and my mailing address and they would send me a replacement.

I was about to purchase the same prop in a 21 pitch. I asked the representative if I could get a 21 as the replacement instead of the same 19. He said no problem and they are sending it out today.

Very seldom do you get great C.S. and great products from the same place. I would like to say thanks to Turning Point Propellers and you have a customer for life!

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Glad they stepped up to the plate and took care of you.