prop education please

huck199

Cadet
Looking for another prop for my '94 Johnson 112 spl. I'm just not sure what prop will work. I understand pitch but I'm lost with 13 spline & 4 1/4 in. gear case? What do I look for? All I want is a spare prop, 17 or 19 pitch will be fine. Thank you for any help!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What's the issue with current prop ? Did prop achieve good performance ? Nice hole shot with good top speed? Was wot min-max rpm range inside safe factory parameters ?

Happy Boating

huck199

Cadet
No rpm gauge, performance is decent. Since I'm looking for a backup, I thought I'd see what was out there but I'm just not clear on the 'spline', I understand diameter and pitch.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Spline is the number of small longitudinal cuts that the inner metal core of a prop has. Must match same number on prop shaft. You need to test that current prop with tach to check how engine is performing, then can go from there selecting other pitches to suit your boating needs.

Happy Boating

chadpcb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Without knowing the WOT of a specific engine there is now way possible to prop it correctly.

Yes, you say your current prop is decent. But picture this. Lower fuel consumption, better top end, better hole shot, and all around better handling.

If you prop it correctly. 9 out of 10 times a factory prop is not correctly propped for your boat.

Here is a link that can get you started in the right direction.

Click on the prop wizard link. You don't have to purchase their prop in order for it be accurate.

Dukedog

Captain
Looking for another prop for my '94 Johnson 112 spl. I'm just not sure what prop will work. I understand pitch but I'm lost with 13 spline & 4 1/4 in. gear case? What do I look for? All I want is a spare prop, 17 or 19 pitch will be fine. Thank you for any help!

splines? = number of "splines" on tha prop shaft.. hafta match number of prop splines.. most v4 and smaller are 13, most v6 are 15

4 1/4" ? = dia. of gearcase and/or dia. of prop barrel/hub.. ie: ya can't put a 4 1/2" barrel/hub prop ona 4 1/4" barrel/hub gearcase but you can run tha smaller hub/barrel (4 1/4") prop on tha larger (4 1/2") barrel/hub gearcase.....

measure your gear case diameter to determine what size "hub/barrel" your prop needs ta be!

some refer to tha hub as just tha part of tha prop that is tha "splined female" part of tha prop... some refer to tha barrel as tha hub also so it can get confusiin' unless ya know exactly which part "whoever" is talkin' about.......generally if they give a measurement in inches its referin' to tha gear case hub and/or tha prop barrel sometimes refered to as tha hub also.........

not worried 'bout size! you seem ta have a direction for that already....

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Without knowing the WOT of a specific engine there is now way possible to prop it correctly. 9 out of 10 times a factory prop is not correctly propped for your boat.

I'll disagree on last part due to being a relative statement. Would say that 11 out of 10 times factory props which are medium pitched performs excellent on light to mediium applications. On light ones will be at, or around max safe wot factory parameters and sometimes exceed max wot numbers.

Will depend if using max rated HP engine to a given lenght boat for that to happen. To be clear, I'm reffering to engines that comes with standard factory delivered props, on larger engines delivered without a prop this equation doesn't fit as you'll need to pick one as a starter.

What you need to do is : with current prop, you alone, with lightly loaded boat, well trimmed engine, correct engine/transom height go for a wot spin on flat calm no wind water cond and check achieved max wot numbers, then can go from there maximizing prop pitch to be near max wot safe numbers to suit your boating needs, adding extra weight, passengers max engine rpm will drop accordingly.

Happy Boating

Maclin

Admiral
In my view it would be worth taking your current prop off and counting the splines. Also measure everything you can on it like length of hub, etc. Jot down all numbers stamped on it..