Prop Change?

nitetrucker

Recruit
Hi all, I have a 93 22foot pontoon boat that came with a Honda bf45 when i bout it 2 years ago. this is the actual first season to be able to use it though. Question is should i change props? Currently has a 3 blade prop (unknown pitch as its docked at the lake 45 min away) but running full throttle only hit about 4000 rpm. This is a big boat and at times motor seems to be working hard to push it depending on weather and weight. Don't care about speed we just cruise in it but want control and not to hurt the motor>Thanks for your help

ahicks

Captain
That 45 likes about 5500 rpm max. I would suggest you prop it with that target in mind for good all around performance.

A 4 blade prop can make a noticeable difference in low speed control - like when maneuvering around docks, and loading/unloading on a trailer. If the prop budget would cover that extra expense, pretty sure you'll be happy with it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Before you throw money on a prop, make sure the engine is properly set up and running properly. No -- you cannot determine if the engine is running properly by how it sounds. If the engine is not making full power no prop is going to solve the issue.