Prop binds up

4winns05

Recruit
First time boat owner, I have a 2005 four Winns horizon 200le with I/O 4.3 Volvo penta) that Ibought used. Previous owner put an different size prop (14 1/4x21) I bought the stock size prop ( 14 1/4x23)as the other one had damage. My issue is that if I tighten it any more then finger tight it binds up does not spin and the book calls for 70-80lbs tq. All the parts are there…thrust washer, propeller, washer, nut and the nut lock with pin. Anyone know what my issue is or what am I possibly doing wrong? Thank you

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Did the prop you bought come with new hardware?

Prop hub/splines are often specific for the make/model of drive. Is the one you bought correct?

4winns05

Recruit
Did the prop you bought come with new hardware?

Prop hub/splines are often specific for the make/model of drive. Is the one you bought correct?
It’s a Volvo penta prop so the hub is already installed on it, it just slides on. My only thought is that since it had already a different size prop, maybe the thrust washer isn’t the correct one.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Non OEM Props often require a non OEM Thrust Washer. When I put the Enertia Prop on my VP, the OEM Thrust Washer, was of no Use, however the One I needed was in the specified Hub Kit for VP drives

dubs283

Vice Admiral
maybe the thrust washer isn’t the correct one.

Most likely this is correct

That's why I asked about new hardware with the new prop

You need the correct thrust washer forward of the prop, keeper, nut, tab ring and pin