prop basics ?

fishinrado

Petty Officer 2nd Class
98 bayliner capris with merc 3.0 alpha one gen ii outdrive
new to the boat. have owned 3 but have never replaced a prop due to they were always done
so some basic q'S
*from behind the boat looking to bow prop turns counter clockwise in forward.
is it considered going clockwise because u view it from the bow looking to stern?
hence is this considered a right hand application ?
*this pic is of an old Chrysler prop that was an extra on my old boat but it's the same
rotation as my merc.
Thanks, just in the market for a new wakeboard prop for the boat and want to get a 4 blade alum but I can't find any numbers on the current prop. would they be on the inner hub? getting ready to pull it off shortly.

Attachments

• old prop.jpg
    old prop.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 0

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: prop basics ?

Something wrong with your descriptions here. The pic looks right hand but is a little inconclusive. 99.9% sure your Merc is right hand, but . . . What you describe as counter clockwise from behind is left hand :confused: A right hand prop screws right hand (righty tighty) from the stern. Clockwise looking at it from behind as the boat travels. How are you observing this? On the trailer running? Have you run the boat in the water? Are you turning it in gear by hand not running? Then it won't go the right way . . .

What's the saying? "you're not doing it right" . . . :)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here is a picture of a right handed rotation prop for Mercruiser.
Mercs are always vuiwed for direction by looking from the back of the boat towards the front. Including engine rotation

IMG_1909-600x400.JPG

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Prop size usually appears under the prop nut. Usually 48 something the last 2 digits usually indicate pitch.

fishinrado

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes I ran the boat all last fall. never noticed rotation while running. just did the impeller, shift shaft seals, drive shaft seals etc......when behind the boat and in forward doing the pump you lock it in forward for the lower unit to come off. put it back in and you have to rotate the prop a hair to align the shaft into the upper housing. once complete YES the prop turns counter clockwise in forward gear by hand and clicks clockwise. i just looked up all the props on iboats and it says " standard" rotation for that make and model year so now u have me thinking the shift shaft is not aligned right in the lower unit. but it only goes one way when installing. looking down it goes from 12 to 9 counter clockwise . meaning the fork hosing that the shift shaft rod goes in only goes from 12 to 9 when going from forward to neutral to reverse. reverse being 9 o'clock so ????? don't see how it could be wrong???

fishinrado

Petty Officer 2nd Class

and yes this is the prop I Have installed now ( the pic from don s.)
so in forward gear and from behind the boat I should be able to rotate clockwise and it should click counter clockwise?

fishinrado

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I know what your saying now......so by hand if the force is counter clockwise meaning I can actually turn the prop that direction ( without it clicking) this is the force against the rotation, meaning once running the force is pushing it in a clock wise rotation?
very confusing :)