Project:Speck-tacular

ezrollin

Seaman
After spending the winter speck fishing the Kissimmee River in the of his pontoon/cabin boat I have decided to build my own.I sold my 20 ft pontoon boat and trailer to help fund the project but kept the 90 hp four stroke Suzuki outboard.I bought a set of 24 ft big tube pontoons and a bigger trailer.The pics are of the 24 fr tubes and trailer and the frame work of the cabin.The cabin is built from 2" square alum tube and is 8x12 ft with a 6' overhang in front and 2' in the rear,it's upside down on the trailer.Siding will be 3" sip and light weight alum framed doors and windows with either vinyl or plexiglass panes.I will posting pics as I progress for those that might be interested.

Attachments

• IMG_0724.jpg
    IMG_0724.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0725.jpg
    IMG_0725.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0726.jpg
    IMG_0726.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 1

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Project:Speck-tacular

I'd like to see his cabin boat too.

ezrollin

Seaman

Here's the proto type but has been improved since picture.

Attachments

• boat image.jpg
    boat image.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 2

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

OK That's kinda what I pictured. Looking forward to your progress pics. Have fun.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Specks are yummy. Looking forward to pics. Welcome aboard and tight lines.:cool:

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good choice with the aluminum, where did you get it from? I've used the T-slot aluminum forms before.

Keep the pictures coming!

emoney

Commander

This will be cool to watch. Keep those pics coming!

ezrollin

Seaman

Good choice with the aluminum, where did you get it from? I've used the T-slot aluminum forms before.

Keep the pictures coming!

My welder,Trevor Booth of Okeechobee FL. ordered 11-24' sticks of alum. and had it delivered to his shop.My brother-in-law,Randy O'neal with me assisting,laid it out and cut it with a chop saw.We then took the pieces back to the welding shop,laid it out and squared it for the welder.I'm keeping an account of expenses of what it cost to build,a thousand in the frame as it sits.

ezrollin

Seaman

Started removing my old decking this morning while it was cool outside.Not much success remove the philips head deck screws so I ground off the heads,pried up the plywood,cut the screw stud flush with a sawsall and ground them flush with the support.Decided to go with 3/4 mpw instead of the original 5/8 because I noticed a slight sagging between the supports,this could lead to water seepage under the cabin frame.Plan on moving the motor support back 2 ft for more deck space and to help counter balance the weight of the cabin.I sold my old pontoon boat & trailer but kept the 90 hp 4 stroke suzuki which left me with $4000 in the motor and replacement trailer,a $1000 in the cabin frame and a $ 1000 in the pontoons/rails[24.5" dia. tubes]for an investment of $6000 so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 1

ezrollin

Seaman

I got a little more accomplished last week,got the cabin frame off the trailer and the pontoon boat off the blocks onto the trailer,lots of work when you do it by yourself.My brother in law came over and we move the transom back for more deck room and there are some other benefits I've read.We unbolted the three cross braces supporting the transom from the pontoons and slid it back two feet to the existing bolt holes,I moved the last brace back a couple of inches so my deck seam would rest on it.If you look carefully at the pic of the transom you can see the marks left by an alum plate pop riveted to each side,this didn't offer much additional support.I plan to extend the two rearward braces over to the transom and bolt them thru the deck and transom,making it considerable stronger than it was from the factory.I will post pictures when it's done

Attachments

• Picture 067.jpg
    Picture 067.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 068.jpg
    Picture 068.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 0

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What a project!!! And you are doing it right which is so very important... Keep the pics coming

ezrollin

Seaman

Good thing I have a prototype to build from,though my boat will be some what different it helps to know what works and what needs to be redesigned.

rochan

Cadet

Specks are yummy. Looking forward to pics. Welcome aboard and tight lines We then took the pieces back to the welding shop,laid it out and squared it for the welder.I'm keeping an account of expenses of what it cost to build,a thousand in the frame as it sits.