Procedure to drain and refill closed antifreeze on 5th gen Volvo Penta 4.3?

lazywater

Cadet
My 2017 is a bit low on AF. It takes the yellow VCS. I thought since I'm buying a jug, I might as well drain and refill as it hasn't been done since new. Is it really necessary to drain from three different locations? Is there space for a tray or do I let it run into the bilge and collect from the drain? Is there a bleed procedure after adding new or do you just fill to max, run a few minutes, then top up? Does anyone have part numbers for the o-rings? All I can find is this which shows a drain location on the belt side while mentioning two others not shown,

mvn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Volvo service protocol for Gen V engines shows a VCS coolant replacement period of 48 months or 200 hours, whichever occurs first. Any luck finding VCS coolant? I had to go to a Volvo heavy equipment dealer to find some.

Mark

lazywater

Cadet
Volvo service protocol for Gen V engines shows a VCS coolant replacement period of 48 months or 200 hours, whichever occurs first. Any luck finding VCS coolant? I had to go to a Volvo heavy equipment dealer to find some.

Mark
LeadersRPM online or your local Volvo Penta repair shop. Still no luck on finding a diagram that shows the drain areas or whether this job requires pulling a vacuum to bleed the system when refilling.

lazywater

Cadet
Is there a diagram or an image online that shows the drain locations? All I see on the sides are this. Sorry for the quality of the images as it's pretty tight access. Could someone put an x marks the spot on these images?

Attachments

• exchangerside.jpg
    exchangerside.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 6
  • side2.jpg
    side2.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 6

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
side of the block on each side is the block drain, just above the pan rail, aft of the motor mount bosses. the heat exchangers need to be drained too. suggest a flush as well.

get the factory service manual from volvo. its copywrited material

lazywater

Cadet
side of the block on each side is the block drain, just above the pan rail, aft of the motor mount bosses. the heat exchangers need to be drained too. suggest a flush as well.

get the factory service manual from volvo. its copywrited material
Thanks. Just ordered the PDF service manual. Hopefully it contains the coolant change as a service item which is not guaranteed as some manufacturers now treat coolant as non-serviceable by owners.

I feel like maintenance should be part of the owner's manual and every owner should have access to this basic information as part of the purchase. Truthfully, that's why I joined the forum because VP discourages DIY.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
unfortunately manuals in the 50's had how-to to adjust ignition and set valve clearances. Todays manuals have to tell the person not to drink battery acid.

In Volvo's defense, the average DIYer thinks youtube vids are accurate.

I agree that maintenance should be part of the owners manual, along with actual maintenance points such as grease zerks etc.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
go to

and download a free copy of the Service and Maintenance Manual

The procedure is covered.

mvn

Petty Officer 1st Class
go to

and download a free copy of the Service and Maintenance Manual

The procedure is covered.
Correct. Manual #47708014 has the proper coolant change procedure very clearly described with diagrams and tool requirements.

1682344646322.png

Mark