Problems with Planning

ncrattler

Recruit
I bought a 1999 Rabolo 19 Foot center console with a 125 Mercury. Cannot get this thing up on plane no matter what I do. I am novice but took it to a repair shop. They changed out the prop with different ones. still nothing. The motor compression is good and has no problems. First I dont know how to check pitch etc on the prop thats on the boat. I guess my question is what should I start checking? Like I said im a novice but not stupid , any suggestions will be appreciated.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What are the compression numbers ?-----I think a 17" pitch prop will do the trick if motor is in good condition.-----What numbers do you see on your prop now.-----Post them here.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

did you take the boat for a ride before you bought it?

as stated above, post the compression numbers

have you weighed the boat? if you are more than the weight of your engine, fuel and gear above the dry weight, you may be carrying extra water from a leak

regarding the prop pitch, google the numbers on the prop and post them here as well.

how are you doing your holeshot?

This is how I would take of (regardless of which boat I am in):
  • trim ALL the way down
  • tabs all the way up
  • slam the throttle to the stop (no gingerly advancing throttle, drive it like you rented it)
  • as the boat starts coming up out of the hole - start trimming up until the boat porpoises, then trim down just a bit.