Problems with a new gimbal bearing

carrier82

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi fellow boaters!

Had some trouble with my gimbal bearing today.

When doing the OMC to SEI conversion a couple of months ago, I changed my old, rough gimbal bearing. The one I installed is made by GLM and it is greasable. When I installed the bearing, I pumped some grease into it (used "semi synthetic lithium soap based grease with EP-rating" that is like vaseline). I had a very loud howling noise at around 2500 rpm. The noise didn't occur in neutral gear.

Today I was changing the gear oils of my new SEI unit and pulled the drive to check the gimbal and bellows. I noticed that it seemed like the bearing hasn't been properly rotating (some marks in driveshaft). I thought that the bearing isn't properly greased so I applied some more grease to the bearing. Then I heard a pop. Tested to rotate the bearing and noticed that the "middle ring" in the bearing now rotates as well. I could also move the middle ring by pushing it with my finger.

Below a link showing what I mean. When I first intalled the bearing, it was quite stiff to rotate but only the innermost ring rotated.
http://1drv.ms/1K2tPXd

The bearing is ruined, right? When I'll try to pull the bearing, will it break and will I be left with the outer casing of the bearing inside the bore?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I'd say at this point to replace the bearing. it should not break pulling it out,the entire bearing housing will come out with it. When you put that one in, how did you drive it in? You cannot hit the inner bearing,it needs to be installed with the proper bearing driver. The procedure is in the stickys at the top of these forums.

carrier82

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a bearing driver that only touches the outer casing of the bearing. I don?t think there was any issue with the installation.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Ok. Was there water in the bellow? The bearing should last quite awhile,unless you somehow got a defective one. Stuff happens sometimes.

carrier82

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No water in the bellow. The seller promised to send me a replacement. Not impressed with GLM quality yet... Hopefully I won?t have trouble getting this one off.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Do yourself a favor and never use GLM. It's not called "Good Luck Marine" for nothing!