Problems fishing with a swim platform?

7mm

Seaman
I am thinking about installing a full swim platform on the back of a 1987 221 Starcraft Islander. Thoughts are to mount a large cooler, kicker motor, and boarding ladder. What are some of the unforeseen problems for a system like this. Will it create problems for netting fish while trolling? Other problems. Your thoughts are appreciated.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Can’t speak for freshwater, but inshore / offshore it doesn’t matter what’s directly behind the boat. It’s the skill of the Captain and angler that matters.

Fish are boated off the back corner of the boat. Which side is the preference of the mate. Being right handed, I’m a port guy.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Friend of mine has a 28’ boat with a swim platform. He often stands on it while fishing and netting fish. (Wears a pfd). It does not present any problems for him what so ever.

7mm

Seaman
So far it sounds like a go. How about the kicker mounted on the swim platform. I have seen this done but doesn’t look like the most ideal way to mount a motor. Any problem there?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The only problem I see would be the kicker if it needs to be steered with a tiller as well as manually controlled throttle.