Problems at Launch?

Maximerc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Problems at Launch?

I guess the point I was trying to make in a round about way was that the brakes are not going to be a issue of holding its all in your traction ... and throwing it into 4x4 will not make a diffrence unless there is traction in which case the brakes will hold it too. <br /><br />back to my interest in ABS I was curious if it would even engage when the truck was moving backwards??

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Hydroswift,<br /><br />There are specific weight distribution hitches designed to be used with surge brakes. They work well but are on the pricey side. I like to have the max control over my rig especially at high speeds. (25ft cruiser about 6000lbs) In addition I tow with a ford bronco and the short wheelbase makes trailering an adventure at times. :p <br /><br />I almost always pull out of the ramp in 4x4 high or low. Why not? I am not suggesting towing down the highway but they put that gearbox in there for this exact application. Don't worry about over revving the engine you will only be running it that way for a couple of 10 seconds.<br /><br />Your decision to error on the side of saftey is admirable. I wish everyone would be as concerned, it would make our roads and ramps much safer.<br /><br />Doug

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Maximerc,<br />My 4Runner's brakes will lock up in reverse, and they're ABS.

paragod

Seaman Apprentice

my turn :D in a steep deep ramp its all good until the boat hits the water and the truck tires hit the slime the big boat pulls the truck until it is in the full float posistion then the truck will stop sliding and at that time with a long boat 23 plus the *** of the truck is in the drink front tires dry foot on the brake and the big boat wants to take the little full size supercab chevy fishing :p :p bought a bigger truck no problem! :p

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

rock climbing four by four drivers use the engine to brake when doing their thing, finding themselves nearly vertical - the reason I mention this is because you need to have an idea of the tremendous torque multiplication involved with four wheel drive LOW, that same gearing that lets you go up the side of a mountain without engine strain also lets you have tremendous engine braking power<br /><br />recall that force is mass times velocity - if your mass aint fast, its not going to have a lot of force, and creeping down that ramp in low range reverse, you wont have a "slide hammer" effect dragging you down, which I think it what is worrying you<br /><br />Back the truck down by itself, see how it does, do NOT be pressured by other people waiting, your turn at the ramp is YOUR TURN, take it, use it, enjoy it<br /><br />if you lack backing skills, go get some, dont learn at the ramp<br /><br />repeat DO NOT LEARN AT THE RAMP<br /><br />make things too much fun for us popcorn munching beer swilling hecklers lined up by the ramp!<br /><br /> :D :D :D :D :D :D :D <br /><br /> :p

Maximerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Brian thanks for the info!! had no idea if the ABS registered in reverse so I should not get going 60 mph and spin around in reverse and expect the ABS to work :D

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Maximerc,<br />You are correct, Sir. I would not, if I were you, expect my ABS to work in the situation you describe :D :D

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have you given thought to sitting at a ramp for a couple of hours watching the traffic. Eventually you'll see something similar to your own, just wander over and have a chinwag with the owner and he'll most likely help with positive suggestions.<br />I guess it seems simple but if it's going to be your first time launching then have a mate join a tow rope to the front of your truck just in case, that way he can help if things go awry! He could brake or help pull forward if it's too slippery.<br />Otherwise take a bucket of sand with you and spread it over the obvious tyre tracks of others and you'll have grip as long as you stay in their tracks.<br />Ross

BillP

Captain

That rig can be pulled into the water if the ramp is slick...no matter how good the brakes are.<br /><br />I used to launch a boat 1/2 the weight of my car on an ultra steep ramp with algae and it slid the tires the first few times so I always waited for high tide to launch. The cure to launching at low tide was to back the trailer straight in but angle the tow vehicle so it pulled sideways on the tires. That method stopped any and all sliding. The problem never happened when I used tilt trailers at that ramp.

gator79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hydroswift where did you get sealed electric units?

Realgun

Commander

I honestly think your worrying over nothing. The truck is capable of pulling the rig and stopping to get to the lake correct?. Most ramps are wet and slick but 4WD will help you there. My issue is the Manual transmission. Most are not rated to tow that much. Having said that, I would pull out in 4WD low and switch to high when near the top of the ramp, you dont need to drag race up the ramp. Also you can sometime just ease out the cluch and inch you way up and getting moving so you don't have to ride the clutch. Surge brakes are not going to help you down the ramp they only activate when the trailer threatens to come through the tailgate.<br /><br />ABS is really good to have as it will prevent the tow vehicle from locking up the rear tires and trying to swap ends. My Ford Ranger has no issues with stopping my rig and it weighs 2600 LBs. It does work in reverse as I have felt it pulsing backing down the ramp. I misjudged the steepness of the ramp and was really moving. BTW there was nobody on the ramp. I like to launch during the week. :)

RC Hammer

Seaman Apprentice

Hydro,<br /><br />I was wondering which site you bought your brakes from? I am in the decision mode to replase my surge brakes w/ electric as my truck is wired for the electric. My current surge brakes are not working. I think that the coupler is bad and the hydraulic brake lines are kinked in several places. Please let me know where you found yours.<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Hammerhead