problem with used boat purchase...need advice

k5ranger

Petty Officer 3rd Class
here's the situation.<br /><br />i purchased a used boat from a local dealership. after many weeks of troubles and frustrations and investigations this is what i have come up with...the boat is to heavy for the trailer, by approx. 600-700 punds. this is the trailer that came with the boat when purchased new.(i am the 2nd owner and i recently talked with the 1st owner about the trailer). i called the trailer manufacturer and got the same information. this leads me to believe that the boat is waterlogged. i have scaled the boat and trailer at a weigh station on certified scales. yes, i had to sign a "as-is no warranty" card when i purchased the boat. how was i to know this problem before purchasing the rigs? do i have a leg to stand on to take legal actions? yes i have all the weights of all gear and boat and trailer. trust me, i have been thru a lot over this. i really like the boat.<br />any advice or help would be appreciated.

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: problem with used boat purchase...need advice

Are you saying that the current weight of the boat is 600-700 pounds heavier than its original manufactured weight? Can you verify whether there is water under the deck? What kind of boat is it?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

k5ranger - I hope a lawyer jumps in on this though I'm not a great fan of that profession.<br /><br />There is a lot of protection for a seller who sells something "as is where is" especially if it is in writing signed by the buyer. On the other side I think there is protection for a buyer who can expect that product that he buys will be protected from hidden damage especially if the seller is or should be knowledgeable about the product - in this case a boat dealer.<br /><br />Document, document - - document. FYI Small Claims Courts are more liberal in interpreting the law. I would think that if you could show the Court that you relied on representations from this dealer that the boat was seaworthy when it was in fact not - you would have a pretty strong case.<br /><br />Have you approached the seller yet? If not I suggest that you do so in writing - state your case and what you expect him to do in a firm but non threatening way. If he balks advise him that you intend to sue for recovery - sometimes that will jar them loose.<br /><br />What kind of money we talkin about?

k5ranger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

after totaling all the weight of motor, gas, equipment, batteries, and the dry hull weight of the boat( called boat manufacturer to get the boats weight); the scales have the boat at over 600 lbs than the total i have. this weight puts me well over the trailers rating.<br /><br />i have contacted the dealership two times but get the same answer..."we are not responsible. we have no way of telling if the boat is waterlogged. we took it in to sell on consignment". yet, there are no documents saying it was a consignment boat. all sales receipts are on their letterhead.<br /><br />i'm seeing an attorney today and have all the needed documentation...i hope. problem is atorneys are a lot money..ya know!

dhud64

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good luck!<br />I bought a used vehicle once that we later found out had a salvage title.<br />This car was purchased for my 16 year old daugter. I did not want her driving around in a car that had been basically declared totaled.<br />I took the jerk to court and the ****-head judge basically told me that it was my responsibility to specifically ask if the car had ever been wrecked and if it had a good title etc...<br />What a crock!<br />I guess that's Wyandotte County Kansas for ya!

k5ranger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

wow...just got some shocking news from the boat manufacturer.<br /><br />there are times that a dealership will put a boat on a trailer that is not rated for that particular boats weight. therefor...if that's the case...i am pretty much S.O.L. unless the attorny thinks we cn pursue this with the original dealership; which i feel will be hopless.<br /><br />the boat manufacturer also said that there are times when more glass is sprayed into one boat than others resulting in heavier hulls. he also claims that the floataion used is closed cell and will not gather moisture..unlike what i read on this web site.<br /><br />sounds to me like i am going to be purchasing some 14" tires and wheels and tossing my brand new 13" tires.<br />'oh well.....a lesson learned is a lesson remembered. thanks for letting me rant and rave and to all who replied thanks for the insight.<br />THIS is what this web site means to me and does for me. i only hope that i can be of assistance to others one day.<br />thanks

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The dealer that originally sold my boat also would undersize the trailer to make a bit more profit. <br /><br />I suspect it is a fairly common practice.<br /><br />Jinx

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by dhud64:<br /> Good luck!<br />I bought a used vehicle once that we later found out had a salvage title.<br />This car was purchased for my 16 year old daugter. I did not want her driving around in a car that had been basically declared totaled.<br />
I was a bodyman for 25+ years and rebuilt many totaled auto. Now, if an automobile is repaired right, (that is the problem) There is no problem if the repair was done properly, Its the few that are scabbed together and sold to the ususpecting public that are the problem. And that happens a lot more than we care to think. I have seen things that would make you cringe. I think I have seen it all.<br /><br />Ive joined two cars to make one more often than I can remember. When done right, (and there is a right way), I wouldnt have a problem with anyone in my family driving one. They are actually stronger where joined than the factory does it. You have to be carefull making things stronger also, as it can effect the factory designed crush points for safety. Again, doing it right is the difference and you mostly cant tell unless you are trained for what to look for. Its a real racket. Having said that, I wouldnt drive one unless I repaired it myself.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, K5Ranger.<br /><br />I'm gonna move this to the Trailers Forum, where it fits.<br /><br />You can upgrade your trailer by replacing the axle, springs and/or tires (as needed). Not much you can do about the frame, though.<br /><br />Check out www.championtrailers.com for parts to upgrade.<br /><br />Good luck. :)