Problem with advertisement-rant.

D

DJ

Does anybody, but me, have a problem with the US Government advertising for new food stamp customers?<br /><br />The new ad features a grandmother talking about having to eat right so that she can play with her grandchildren.<br /><br />My first question is: Where the HE!! are her children? That's their job to support her, not mine. <br /><br />Maybe her children should sell the Escalade and do the right thing. :mad:

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Problem with advertisement-rant.

They can't afford to sell the Escalade, with gas prices so high the value is way below the loan balance. They're probably on food stamps, too!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I understand your outrage. It's bad enough when Mathew Lesko (the guy with the question mark suit) appears on the screen,and starts screeming about "FREE GOVERNMENT MONEY"!!! But at least, it isn't the actual government trying to give away my our money...It's some shamless carnival barker worth millions doing it. :rolleyes:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Food stamps are a great idea, as long as the system isnt abused.<br /><br />Sadly abuse of the system is rampant, and in fact encouraged.<br /><br />These people on food stamps havent seen true poverty. I am sure Aspect can show them some pics.<br /><br />Ken

aspeck

Staff member

Yep! I could. But we won't go there - different culture, different value system (they still need food and shelter, though).<br /><br />One thing I will say about this culture, is that the family takes care of its own. If there is no family, THEN the community steps in. The government doesn't have enough money to do it, they are too busy building the infrastructure to the country so it can grow and develop (what governments are supposed to do, IMO). It is the people that take care of the people - and do it with more compassion and love than any government could.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

I read in the Jacksonville, FL newspaper....way back in '93. They had a big article in the Sunday paper about welfare. It was found that if the person had the knowledge that they could make in excess of $46,000 in money and benefits per year per family of 4 by playing the welfare system. Friends, that is outrageous!!! What would it be today.....$60,000 maybe? And all this is coming from our pockets.... and I was only making around 30,000 at the time. I used to be driving to work in the early morning through downtown Jax and see strong, fit, young men lounging around smoking, drinking, polishing new cars. At lunch they'd still be hanging around, in the evening still doing nothing....so you could safely assume that there was no work going on. Welfare...phooey! A loan if it's needed..yes. Has to be paid back within 6 months from the new job that you are looking for. I see people every day here in SC with the green food cards buying better groceries than I can afford...steaks, junk food, etc. Stop having bastid kids and go to work. If you don't have the kids you don't have to feed 'em. You are then able to get a job and be an asset to the community instead of a liability.<br />Art puts away his soapbox now and gets a cup of coffee... that wasn't paid for with food stamps.

D

DJ

aspeck wrote;<br /><br />
One thing I will say about this culture, is that the family takes care of its own. If there is no family, THEN the community steps in.
Bingo! That is my point-exactly.<br /><br />Too many people today have NO shame. I would be absolutely ashamed if my parents had to resort to food stamps. It's my job to see after their welfare in their advancing ages. They don't need help, but if they did, it would be me giving it.<br /><br />I understand there are exceptions. But, that's not the message the ad sends.<br /><br />Family is about helping one another and sharing in blessings. The government will never be effective at either.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

My wife used to work for Social Services in NJ. You would not believe the blatent misuse of funds and the service is hard pressed to cath them. <br /><br />Example: A person comes in to get an increase in welfare. Agency knows the man works and has been to his place of work and caught him working. But his employeer says he is not getting paid, is just a friend lending a hand that day. And because the guy is paid cash, there is no proof of his income. He drives a new car, but it is not in his name. When the agency runs the plate, it belongs to his daughter. They cannot deny or reduce benefits unless they can prove the client has income and actually owns their car or house, etc.<br /><br />Social Services gets tips on who is breaking the law all the time. Usually from girlfriends getting even for a recent beating. Or the wife because she found out about the girlfriend. Those are the two most popular sources of tips. Just because your poor does not mean you have no morals, but often people without morals are poor.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Aren't the stamps sticky and hard to digest? :p