probably a dmb ? outdrive use?

starsnstripers

Lieutenant
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 30, 2007
Messages
1,330
Could i replace a 1.65 drive with a 1.98? 165hp L6 engine? Would it work ok? Could i reprop it to work? thanks
 

starsnstripers

Lieutenant
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 30, 2007
Messages
1,330
Re: probably a dmb ? outdrive use?

Yeah i figured that. Darn ! good deal on a 1.98 outdrive :rolleyes:
 

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Apr 29, 2007
Messages
159
Re: probably a dmb ? outdrive use?

Yeah i figured that. Darn ! good deal on a 1.98 outdrive :rolleyes:

You can always change the lower unit to your upper housing and gears. Or you can run it and see what it does for your application. I don't have any practical experience but I don't believe you will ruin anything by running a lower gear.

Jason
 

starsnstripers

Lieutenant
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 30, 2007
Messages
1,330
Re: probably a dmb ? outdrive use?

Yeah Chief i'm gonna pass I have a spare 1.65 anyway but 45.00 looked good.
 

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Apr 29, 2007
Messages
159
Re: probably a dmb ? outdrive use?

It's just the upper Chief

Oh well. Just for reference this is bad:

outdrive4.jpg
 

starsnstripers

Lieutenant
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 30, 2007
Messages
1,330
Re: probably a dmb ? outdrive use?

OUCH!!!:eek: That hurt i'll see what i can find for a lower. I have one but dont know if i want to part with it.
 

starsnstripers

Lieutenant
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 30, 2007
Messages
1,330
Re: probably a dmb ? outdrive use?

Geesh you live accross the country haha i'm in Maine
 

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Apr 29, 2007
Messages
159
Re: probably a dmb ? outdrive use?

how did that happen ice?

I think so. I aquired this boat from my Father in Indiana. He tried to Marine-Texs over it but it didn't work.

I have a line on a complete outdrive for $150. Or I might try to have this one welded closed. Can't hurt it anymore than it already is!
 

starsnstripers

Lieutenant
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 30, 2007
Messages
1,330
Re: probably a dmb ? outdrive use?

I'd buy the 150 one anyway thats a good deal weld yours and run er in the mean time you can service and reseal the new one ready to go.
 

starsnstripers

Lieutenant
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 30, 2007
Messages
1,330
Re: probably a dmb ? outdrive use?

Run some JB Weld over it and call it good!
 
Top