Private Party Boat Prices and NADA

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Private Party Boat Prices and NADA

N--National
A--Automobile
D--Dealer's
A--Association

This book is just something a bank/credit union uses to document the "advance" they're putting into a piece of collateral. You should hope your insurance company uses a NADA book if your car is a total wreck.

You don't find used car managers in auto dealerships using the NADA, as they've always used the "Black Book" universally. Car men simply believe the prices in NADA are overstated--not adjusted properly for quickly changing market conditions.

Now, if the NADA books are not accurate with thousands and thousands of auto/truck samples, how do you think some lady analyst in Washington, DC (that's never even ridden in a boat) has estimate the prices of the very small retail boat market in Idaho. They don't.

(I carried a NADA Auto Guide in my pocket every day for 24 years.)

TilliamWe

Banned

Bama, NADA is in California, not DC. And almost EVERYONE complains that their car is worth more than NADA retail when it's totalled. Potato/Potatoe.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

National Automobile Dealers Association
8400 Westpark Drive
McLean, VA 22102
(703) 821-7000 or (800) 252-6232

When did anyone ever know what an automobile is worth? It's even worse on boats.

45Auto

Commander

I don't know how you're using NADA, but when I put in a 2000 Crownline 180BR with a V6, a stereo, and a bimini top I get an average retail of over $8000. The V6 adds over $2000 to the base price.

That's AVERAGE retail, if the boat is in nice condition, low hours, etc, then it will be worth more.

If the boat is nice it'll probably sell for around $10,000. I would guess that the owner iis asking $11,000 to give himself room to dicker.

TilliamWe

Banned

My bad Bama, got their location and Mitchell's confused.

45 Auto, you can't add the 201hp-230hp V6, cause it also accounts for the 5.0 V8 in that 2080 addition. So you choose the up to 200hp V6, and it's "just" just a $1700+ addition. Stereo was standard, how about the bimini top? It's standard on Chaparrals.

I know NADA isn't perfect, but it's not bad. People tend to add stuff in that was actually standard on their boats. That's what I could do with my 97 Chaparral in 2001. I could "option it out" to almost what my dad paid for it 4 years earlier! So the choices are too great and the people using it don't always know what and what not to add.

45Auto

Commander

You're right, I didn't notice the 3.0L-4.3L option.

On the other hand, I also didn't check the boxes for the custom cover, depth finder, stainless prop, etc. Either way you end up somewhere in the mid-$8000's with NADA for average condition.

Ad says it's also been garage stored and interior is in perfect condition, so I would guess that it's also in better than average condition which will increase the pice.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

The NADA will evaluate a used boat's (or car's) base projected price, and then they will reduce their base price by a percentage per month by what they believe that item depreciates. They do it for cars, boats, and recreational vehicles. Unfortunately, retail markets change--like after the 1974 gas crisis, the 9/11/01 terrorist attacks, the hurricane hitting New Orleans, and a few stock market contractions and wildly meandering fuel prices.

I carried an auto/truck NADA book in my shirt pocket for 24 years. My last 12 years before retirement, I carried a NAEDA (Tractor and Construction equipment) book on me at all times--and they did the same thing.