Private Party Boat Prices and NADA

runabout1911

Recruit
Hi,

I've been looking at boat prices and comparing to NADA.

One model, a 2000 CrownLine 180BR I found seemed to have a steep price of $11,000 . While the NADA average retail is a measly $5,300.

Is this owner a scam artist? Is there anyway to tell what the original MSRP on a boat was from NADA?

I wonder what the "Suggested List Price" is -- hint hint -- is this the original MSRP when the model was new?

Any input into the private party selling price vs NADA average, low, or suggested retail would be much appreciated.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Private Party Boat Prices and NADA

nada is a very bad place to get boat prices......

they are all over the board.....and in most cases very unreailstic.

the real place to find boat value is on craigs list.....do a search on the boat....find all and compaire

oops!

Supreme Mariner

11 is high on that boat by a little bit.....92 would be closer imho

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Even at 92 that's a pretty high price for that 12 year old boat. Around here, $7K tops since it in good condition.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Even at 92 that's a pretty high price for that 12 year old boat. Around here, $7K tops since it in good condition.

i am in canada...in a boating area....so my ideas will be different than your areas....

the bliner is closer to a normal price......you might try 45.....its the end of the season and they are hot to sell.
btw....i would prefer a 4.3 in that boat...but a 120 moved that just fine with 2 adults

*mtrbtr*

Cadet

I am from the northern part of the US...Montana, to be specific.. and a boat dealer here told me that further north and Inland, boats fetch a lot more money than NADA suggests because they are used so much less than boats in the south and places like Florida. He wasnt even trying to sell me a boat. I was looking for advice on selling one. I have found this to be true looking at different national sites like onlyinboards.com and Iboats. If a boat is well taken care of it goes for a lot more than NADA. I once sold a beautiful boat to a guy who wouldnt pay any more than NADA. Found out after I sold it to him he was a dealer. (not the same one I mentioned above). I am sure he just flipped it. My guess is he made about $4000 off me.

TilliamWe

Banned

Is this owner a scam artist? Is there anyway to tell what the original MSRP on a boat was from NADA? ...

No, he's a clueless boat owner (is that an oxymoron?) that has no idea that his 11 year old boat isn't still worth 50% of what he paid for it new.
No, I don't think NADA has an MSRP function for boats like it does for cars. And even if it did, it would be worthless, MSRP on boats is NEVER what they get sold for. I can tell you that in 2001 an 18' Chaparral SS series (their more expensive line and comparable to crownline) bowrider with a 4.3 with a trailer could be bought for $22,000. So you tell me, 11 years later is it worth 50% of that amount?

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

pricing a boat to sell is probably one of the hardest things to do, thats why often its a great deal or it seems like its a scam. everything comes into play engine hours, condition of engine, floor, seats, covers, trailer, ect... so many variables that often you wont look at a 92 because of its age but reality it could be in better shape then a 2005. my boss has a 93 four winns vista with only 50 hours on it maintaince kept up every year but he just doesnt use it 100% of the time its in heated storage wiped down and waxed if he does take it out. he wants 16,500 for it but its a 93 with the rarest of all king cobra so i doubt he could even get 10,000. i like to think boat prices are set at what you think its worth not what the world thinks it should be worth.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

From what I understand, NADA is a national or maybe big region average. Boat prices are more localized than that.

runabout1911

Recruit

i am in canada...in a boating area....so my ideas will be different than your areas....

the bliner is closer to a normal price......you might try 45.....its the end of the season and they are hot to sell.
btw....i would prefer a 4.3 in that boat...but a 120 moved that just fine with 2 adults

I tried $4,500 on the bayliner (...EDIT...). The fool won't budge on a 1998 capri bayliner 185 br - outboard model.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is this owner a scam artist? Is there anyway to tell what the original MSRP on a boat was from NADA?

Any input into the private party selling price vs NADA average, low, or suggested retail would be much appreciated.

Scam artist, probably not, but he did set a price for his boat. Will he sell it to you for a lot less, probably not. But that is what he wants for it. There is no law that you have to go by NADA or anyone elses "book" or list of prices.

Deal with it. People are still free to sell their stuff at the price thet want to sell it for, rather you like it or not.

Or maybe you want to get everybody from the forum together and go beat him up so he will sell it to you for your price.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

NADA is a joke for cruiser boats and only somewhat relevent in areas with a high volume of boat sales on popular models such at the boat the OP is looking at. But, the OP doesn't say where he is, therefore all bets are off whether the the price is way ou of line. If you look carefully at most NADA guidelines, you'll see that for many models "due to low reported sales volumes that values may vary". Well they DO vary, and quite a bit for non commodity boats. If that's what you want, it's all about condition and you'll pay for a nice boat. Entry level runabouts are the most popular. But NADA only reports dealer sales and since most boat purchases are private party on the used side, they aren't reported and the value of the boat you're looking at is totally about what it will bring in your market. Yep you could probably buy the boat the OP refers to in Florida for NADA, but you won't buy it for that in Montana. If they aren't there, doesn't matter what the rest of the world pays for them. Because of that for example, it's especially hard to determine the value of small cruisers given their limited production since the 90's. It's all condition. There's not one just like it sitting on every corner. Runabouts are common, deals can be had. But NADA still is a crap reference. It goes back to if he's got the only one and you really want it, you'll pay for it. Some boats are prevalent, some boats are rare. Again CONDITION is key. I'd rather pay a bit too much for a good boat than get a "bargain" on a piece of junk. Been there, done that, never again.

taurus72

Cadet

I think the "right price" is the one you are comfortable paying. Perceived value plays into the picture as well. I agree prices vary depending on your region. I am in IL and I notice a lot of difference between here and other areas.

I think boats are like anything else if you buy and your in a hurry you might get burned but if you take your time then you will find what you seek.

Richard

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Back when I bought my boat in my signature, it was 3 years old, the NADA was $28K and I bought it for $21k. The previous owner had paid $42K for it. NADA is a guide and that's it. I find that boats typically can be bought for less than NADA in my area. Your area may be different.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

We're sandwiched between two bodies of water. The "little one" covers 4,500 square miles and has over 11,600 miles of shore line. The ?Big Lake? to the East is a little larger. It covers 26% of the surface of the Earth. (41,100,000 square miles).

We're home to the US Naval Academy and host the two largest boat shows in the world. We're also recognized internationally as the Sail Boat Capitol of the world so....... you see a boat or two around here too ;)

runabout1911

Recruit

Runabouts are common, deals can be had. But NADA still is a crap reference. It goes back to if he's got the only one and you really want it, you'll pay for it. Some boats are prevalent, some boats are rare. Again CONDITION is key. I'd rather pay a bit too much for a good boat than get a "bargain" on a piece of junk. Been there, done that, never again.

There is another 1998 Bayliner *195 (a whole extra foot) starting at 4995! Yes I am in Iowa, but this guy is definitely not the only bayliner. His is a straight Outboard the 195BR is a I/O. I thought an Outboard would be a good first boat since they are easier to maintain.

Because of this other boat I wouldn't want to pay any more than 4k regardless of condition - just basing the price on age alone. If he had all service records I might consider throwing in another two hundred or so...

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I too agree NADA is worthless, boats defintley are worth much different prices around the country. What was said above is probably the best-go on craigslist check neighboring states and then you can get an idea. No matter what you do your going to get a million "thats way to much for a ten year old boat" lines from guys in other parts of the country, as long as your comfortable with the price and it is in line with others you should know if the deal is decent. By the way that first bayliner link you posted for the 18ft outboard- that is a Force outboard not a merc, at least that is what the picture looks like- that hurts the resale.

TilliamWe

Banned

The *main* problem with all this "NADA is useless" business is that unless you have CASH to buy your boat, the FIRST thing your bank is going to do it pick up the NADA to see how much they WILL loan to you. It doesn't matter if you think NADA is total crap, the banks don't. If they are only going to loan you $5000 on a boat you are paying $13000 for, then you better have $8000 cash, or it's "no boat for you!" (Imagine the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld.) ;)

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi,

I've been looking at boat prices and comparing to NADA.

One model, a 2000 CrownLine 180BR I found seemed to have a steep price of $11,000 . While the NADA average retail is a measly $5,300.

I wonder what the "Suggested List Price" is -- hint hint -- is this the original MSRP when the model was new?

I read this and thought 11k sounds about right if she's in excellent shape. EDIT: Actually clicked on link and saw it's a v6... but it is nice and trailer looks good too. Everything I find on craigslist here in Kansas is around that price... but for that money, i would want the 305 at a minimum. But like everyone is saying... check around and compare. You will know when the deal is right. Goodluck!