FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I installed a water seperator last year and the marina set it up. However, over the winter I drained the seperator, now I'm wondering how to prime the system so the gas flows through it?
Is the primer bulb upstream or downstream of your separator? If upstream, no problem. If downstream you may have to install another primer bulb upstream or move your current one.
I suppose you could fill up your separator with gas and go that route too.
I drain my tank every spring and install a new filter. My primer ball is between the filter and motor. Point the ball up so the gas comming to it is at 6:00. This helps hold the gas in a vacume in case the 1-way valve in it isn't perfect. Pump till the ball is hard and the line and filter will be primed.
.... If upstream, no problem. If downstream you may have to install another primer bulb upstream or move your current one. I suppose you could fill up your separator with gas and go that route too.
It doesn't make any difference if the primer bulb is before or after the filter/separator, as long as the check valves in the primer bulb are seating properly and the seals on the filter/separator aren't leaking.
One thing the original post didn't mention is whether this is for an outboard or I/O, I think everyone is assuming outboard.