Primer Wipe Down Question

mech1521

Seaman
What should I use as a final wipe down solution before I start spraying topcoat enamel? It is a 2 part epoxy primer. I'm heading to the boat store, and need to know what to buy. Any help is greatly appreciated.

NWLundguy

Cadet
Re: Primer Wipe Down Question

Not much detail in your two sentences. What brand of primer? How long has it been since applied? If several days fresh and untouched, maybe just a tack cloth wipe (dust). Lacquer thinner often works well on epoxy, but don't scrub, just light wipe to remove impurities, finger print oil, etc. Fully cured primer sometimes needs a light scrub with purple 3M Scotch-brite pad after chemical clean. Slightly levels surface too (brush strokes, dust in primer, etc). Turn the rag often to keep from smearing around the junk.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Every product says different things.

There are many different tried and true solutions.. Awlprep..denatured alcohol..window cleaner etc.. I have even done some with a simple dry rag and a blow gun then tack.

With wet solutions you have to try to wet wipe..and then dry wipe ( wipe with wet then with a Clean dry microfiber keep wiping till it goes away ).

I could be wrong.

YD.

mech1521

Seaman

Sorry, the last coat of interlux 2000 has been applied today. I was planning on sanding the primer smooth with 320-600g sand paper. As you can tell, I'm new at painting a boat! (much different than a car)

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Sorry, the last coat of interlux 2000 has been applied today. I was planning on sanding the primer smooth with 320-600g sand paper. As you can tell, I'm new at painting a boat! (much different than a car)

Eh ? IP 2000 for your primer ????? You do realize that is a bottom barrier coat..right ?

Are you doing the Bottom ??? If so then What Enamel are you useing ....

Did the IP 2000 smell bad to ya ;) .

YD.

mech1521

Seaman

I used the ip 2000 because I repaired alot of cracks to the entire boat due to transom, floor and stringers being rotton. Interlux rep said: because of the amount of sanding/repair to the hull and the boat will only be trailered, I'm safe to use the ip2000 grey as a water barrier on the hull, and a primer on the rest of the boat. The enamel that will adhere well to the 2000 is brightside grey/ blue. I don't mind the smell because the make shift paint booth has 2 window fans blowing out, and 2 large heating filters letting clean air in although, the paint was pretty nasty, flamable stuff. lol