primer or not?

jesters420

Seaman Apprentice
Going to finally paint the floor i replaced today! Still wondering if i should primer it first. The pail says its not necessary but if helps it lastlonger than i will do it. I have cleaned the deck completly and i was going to use acetone just before i paint. It is a non-scid paint that i will add pumice to for added traction. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: primer or not?

What kind of surface is it, wood, epoxy, polyester, gel coat?

studlymandingo

Commander

Primer is a good idea. Especially on a floor, it will make the topcoat adhere to the poly better.

Bondo

Staff member

jesters420 said:
I have cleaned the deck completly and i was going to use acetone just before i paint. It is a non-scid paint that i will add pumice to for added traction. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

Have you lightly Sanded All of the Surface that you're Painting,............
Without Sanding,......... Everything else is a Moot Point........

And,........... If this is a Non-Skid Paint,.........
Why would you Add More Grit,..??...
It's Already In the paint,.. Isn't It,..??.....

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Bond-o has it right with the sanding, what you don't sand will peel off after a while, even with primer. Most paints won't bond (cross link) well to the uncured surface of polyester resin. I would normally use gel coat as the final non-skid surface when going over a new floor glassed with polyester resin, that way no sanding is needed unless you used a waxed resin. If the paint can says no primer is needed, then don't waste the money on it.

jesters420

Seaman Apprentice

I ended up going back over it today again, for a second time, and sanded it with 80 grit. I did not add the pumice. I started with the sidewalls to see how gritty it already was. It was plenty rough. So the can of pumice will go back. Going to do a second coat on the floor in the moonlight and a drop light. The weather is great right now. Thanks for all the help. I will eventually try to post the pictures of all the work I have done. Thanks again for all the input!

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

ondarvr said:
Bond-o has it right with the sanding, what you don't sand will peel off after a while, even with primer. Most paints won't bond (cross link) well to the uncured surface of polyester resin. I would normally use gel coat as the final non-skid surface when going over a new floor glassed with polyester resin, that way no sanding is needed unless you used a waxed resin. If the paint can says no primer is needed, then don't waste the money on it.

Agreed I am now in the final stages of prepping a boat for a refinish, after the fact i would shoot a gel coat and sand and then finish,

Gel coat is a wonderful material, its as saft as balsa wood extremely easy to get a flat uniform base, then with a little buff ...............i cannot see why one would do it any other way. It just takes a few hours of sanding using a combination of different leveling styles.