Primer for Wood for oil-based Rustoleum?

Berdink

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've searched these forums extensively, Rustoleum Oil based enamel is often recommended even for wood - even for under water - if I'm mainly in freshwater. In fact, I have no reason or desire to take an 18 footer into salt water. But I'm not finding what to use for a wood primer. Rustoleum has an oil based primer, but it says for metal. Anyone do oil based rustoleum on wood? and what Primer did you use?
It's for an the exterior transom plate over my pitted aluminum transom skin.

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer
I've searched these forums extensively, Rustoleum Oil based enamel is often recommended even for wood - even for under water - if I'm mainly in freshwater. In fact, I have no reason or desire to take an 18 footer into salt water. But I'm not finding what to use for a wood primer. Rustoleum has an oil based primer, but it says for metal. Anyone do oil based rustoleum on wood? and what Primer did you use?
It's for an the exterior transom plate over my pitted aluminum transom skin.
Ive used Kilz 2 . Some have used Zinser 123.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would use the old timers wood preservative.

or I would thin out the primer with some acetone and get a few coats on prior to the paint.

if the skin is really pitted, i would re-skin it. did someone use pressure treated lumber as the transom board?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Presumably the transom board is wood? Rustolium does make a primer for wood, although you could use brand any oil based primer for wood.

I am not sure I would use paint on any underwater wood. Paint just sits on the surface of the wood and blisters too easily when exposed to moisture.

I would use an oil based outdoor stain for color. Semi solid or semi transparent are best. They will penetrate and protect the wood. Then several coats of spar urethane to seal it up.

Berdink

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would use the old timers wood preservative.

or I would thin out the primer with some acetone and get a few coats on prior to the paint.

if the skin is really pitted, i would re-skin it. did someone use pressure treated lumber as the transom board?
No PT, they used a stainless steel overlay. I posted about it here in my thread ''67 Holiday 18' - Make it Usable' https://forums.iboats.com/threads/67-holiday-18-make-it-usable.753826/post-5741551.
I'm definitely using OTF on the transom itself, but this is going to be a transom plate at the exterior between the motor and the skin - over the area where the SS was. Do you think OTF would be good under water?

Attachments

• PXL_20220301_002503912.jpg
    PXL_20220301_002503912.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20220226_225714997~2.jpg
    PXL_20220226_225714997~2.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
No PT, they used a stainless steel overlay. I posted about it here in my thread ''67 Holiday 18' - Make it Usable' https://forums.iboats.com/threads/67-holiday-18-make-it-usable.753826/post-5741551.
I'm definitely using OTF on the transom itself, but this is going to be a transom plate at the exterior between the motor and the skin - over the area where the SS was. Do you think OTF would be good under water?
I would re-skin with 5052 myself. or I would get a sheet of starboard for $100 and use that.